PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injector problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Banned
Default Fuel injector problem

So as some of you may know i recently purchased a 96 OT TD H1 last week, which i felt was in good condt, not to mention the dealership said was in great condt compared to what they see normally.
Well I took it to work this past Saturday, it wouldn't start on the way home. It would turn, but not start, then eventually the battery gave out and nothing.
I had a mechanic look at it on Monday, he took the batteries to get charged and then put them back in. It would turn again, but not start. Then he reached into the engine, he said he stopped the fuel, and it started right up...he said it was flooded.
I took it to the dealer who looked it over and said it was the fuel injectors, they are sticking. It starts hard, meaning it revs up to like 3000rpm and then idels down, with a small smoke cloud. They also said that it would be the solution to the car overheating, which was suppose to be remedied when they replaced the hosing for the radiator.
Well the solution for new injectors is $1700.
Does this sound right? I was thinking it was the PMD possibly. Can fuel injector cleaner solve issues like this?... they said no.
I'm kinda bumbed that i just purchased it and i'm already $2000 in the hole, i guess i should have seen it coming.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Default 96 H1 Problem

One year ago I had to remount my 97's PMD away from the top of the engine. Your problem does not sound like the PMD one I had. My
truck would start fine and run for a while but then suddenly cut off.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM

try a second opinion. Call Walt at SS Diesel Supply. He helped me out a lot with my issues. He responds pretty quickly to emails.

SSDiesel Supply

Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM

2nd on Walt. Also - you want a relocated PMD anyway. I would try this first. Plus - I ran several tanks of Sea Foam through the fuel system to clear them out when I first bought it and I felt it made a big difference. I bought a 98TD with 208K and i did replace the injectors (SS Diesel sells the Marine Injectors for $450. I paid $500 additional to have them put in - although I know the guy wished he charged me a bit more) but the old injectors were not too carbonized even at that mileage.