Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Hummer H2 Driver Side Seat Heater (button shows it coming on and going off)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Default Hummer H2 Driver Side Seat Heater (button shows it coming on and going off)

Starting this morning I hopped in and enabled my seat heater and took off... Well as I was driving I noticed the lights on the driver side door were cycling between the two buttons... I can also hear the relay clicking under the seat... I can push the button and it seems to cycle through the modes but then it takes off and starts turning on/off and so on... I have not noticed the back or bottom being hotter than the other... Also unlike what I have read I have not noticed the seat heater just shut off, it just cycles over and over.

I have done some research online, some say they removed the switch in the door, cleaned it and put it back on and it helped (doing that tonight)... other say they had to replace the elements (I would like to know for sure that was it before I buy some). Others just unplug the green plug under the drivers seat and do without... My OCD personality wants them to work if they are on the Hummer... I was hoping some of you folks would share your stories with me so I could learn from them...

thanks in advance

I can try to get a video if that helps?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 AM

I'm having the same problem. What year is yours? Mine is a 2004. I still haven't tried troubleshooting this but I hope to soon as fall is approaching.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Hey, I have a 2005 H2... give me a few and I will post up a video so you can see... I have attached 2 PDF files I found... not sure it will help any... I also found something stating there was a recall on the driver side seat heater, but it doesn't match what I see for my situation...

2003-2005*HUMMER H2*with Seat,*Front Bucket Deluxe*(RPO AR9)ConditionSome customers may comment that occasionally the*seat*heater*will not operate when activated. If the ignition key is cycled OFF and back ON again, the*heated seatwill operate correctly.

Fornd this thread too:
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...tay-off-39734/

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by myrddin; 09-11-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:44 AM

There's a dealer recall

Bulletin No.: 05-08-50-008

Date: August 19, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Intermittent Heated Seats Inoperative, DTC B3941 Set (Reprogram Driver Seat Module)

Models:

2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali

All with Seat FRT, Individual (Non BKT) (RPO AN3)

2003-2005 HUMMER H2 with Seat, Front Bucket Deluxe (RPO AR9)

Condition

Some customers may comment that occasionally the seat heater will not operate when activated. If the ignition key is cycled OFF and back ON again, the heated seat will operate correctly. Also, on some LB7 diesel engine vehicles, the seat heater may turn itself off during the first 10 minutes of operation. This occurs only with the first activation for the day and works correctly with subsequent activations immediately after the event. These conditions are intermiffent and DTC B3941 may be set.

Correction

Technicians are to reprogram the driver seat module with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 6.5 available June 13, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Last edited by myrddin; 09-11-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Old 09-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by myrddin
Mine occasionally does what your video shows. But 99% of the time it stays off and does nothing if I try to turn it on except flash the light, happens on both drivers and passengers sides

Old 09-11-2018, 12:24 PM

from what I have seen if when you turn it on, and it goes out after it may mean that the heater pad is burnt... I did see in that TSB I posted that if you can cycle the key and it works then its related to that problem... in my case the seat gets warm, but the button does what I showed in the video (over and over).

Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM

I pulled the door panel and took out the switch and it looks fine (no corrosion or burn marks on the circuit board).I see it plugs into the window up.down buttons... so theoretically if they were messed up I can see that casing a problem too... but all my window buttons operate as expected when used... so I will rule that out for now. I will pull the seat next to look for bad grounds or burnt wires. I am not looking forward to that... they are heavy...

Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by myrddin
I pulled the door panel and took out the switch and it looks fine (no corrosion or burn marks on the circuit board).I see it plugs into the window up.down buttons... so theoretically if they were messed up I can see that casing a problem too... but all my window buttons operate as expected when used... so I will rule that out for now. I will pull the seat next to look for bad grounds or burnt wires. I am not looking forward to that... they are heavy...
I think you can replace the heating element by taking the covers off without removing the entire seat. I just haven't tried it yet. They also seem to be rather expensive.
Does any one know the part number for the heating elements or what GM equivalent part works?

Old 09-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Well seat is out, no burnt wires, plugs all look good. So it would appear I have a faulty switch and I couldn’t tell when I had it apart. Or one of the heating elements could be fried. I measured the ohms on one side and it was 4.6 (no idea if that means anything) I got side tracked and haven’t fooled with the other side.

I wish i had had learned something. The seat is really heavy... if had two back surgeries so I’m not a fan of awkward lifting these days.

Please share if if anyone has ideas... I’m fresh out. I wish I could borrow someone’s switch... takes like 15 min to pull it. But I don’t know anyone.

Plug on the floor side
Pin out for the plug on the floor side
Seat slider and harness
This is the plug going to the heating elements
I think this is where the heating elements get power
Side view of possible power supply for the heating element.
Measurement of the heating element (female side not sure if that is top or bottom)
Plug measured

Quick Reply: Hummer H2 Driver Side Seat Heater (button shows it coming on and going off)