Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

I hope this was the culprit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Looks pretty normal to me. It is the fuel management system that is taking the idle rpm as low as it can to run all needed accessories with no unwanted additional fuel expenditure and its millisecond lag time to adjust once it finds that spot. That idle amount would be different with the AC on or off, if you had the heater, windshield defroster, rear defroster, wipers, radio, headlights and foot on the brake all at a stop sign, the amount of fuel to get to the lowest possible idle for that situation would be different as well. The fuel management system inputs the AC clutch and alternator load to output needed, then adjusts on the fly to aim for the lowest idle possible when the vehicle is stopped.

A sticky TB (dirt or film, etc...) can contribute to make that seem worse as the PCM may over/under correct the throttle location while looking for that low idle spot. Some people complain their headlights may dim for a second at a stop sign or stop & go traffic and think that is wrong, but it is just the delay in fuel management execution.

The key is, your truck does not stall. The PCM is doing what it was programmed to do.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:29 AM

Just like Doc said looks ok to me as well. Same as my Hummer. As long as it does not drop below the 5000 mark and actually start to stall your good. Mine idles at same spot right at 6000.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:04 AM

I appreciate the responses guys! Sadly my truck continues to stall usually when going over a speed bump or just coming to a stop I’ll try a few more things, I’ve already cleaned the sensor and intake.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Looks pretty normal to me. It is the fuel management system that is taking the idle rpm as low as it can to run all needed accessories with no unwanted additional fuel expenditure and its millisecond lag time to adjust once it finds that spot. That idle amount would be different with the AC on or off, if you had the heater, windshield defroster, rear defroster, wipers, radio, headlights and foot on the brake all at a stop sign, the amount of fuel to get to the lowest possible idle for that situation would be different as well. The fuel management system inputs the AC clutch and alternator load to output needed, then adjusts on the fly to aim for the lowest idle possible when the vehicle is stopped.

A sticky TB (dirt or film, etc...) can contribute to make that seem worse as the PCM may over/under correct the throttle location while looking for that low idle spot. Some people complain their headlights may dim for a second at a stop sign or stop & go traffic and think that is wrong, but it is just the delay in fuel management execution.

The key is, your truck does not stall. The PCM is doing what it was programmed to do.

Still having issues, throttle will go way up, then drop way down almost stall, way back up, then back down then up again...usually that happens when started. Crazy sh$t! On the road will die at low speeds, and a couple of times stutters going down the road! list of everything I’ve done to date

MAF sensor- Cleaned and returned to service
TB

assembly- Cleaned, returned to service
Crannkcase sensor- Looked good according to what I’ve read on here, wiped off and returned to service
Spark Plugs- Replaced
Air Filter- replaced
Techron 2 bottles so far used according to directions (tank almost at empty when applied etc..)
intake bolts are tight.

i dont know, fuel filter maybe, need help thanks

Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM

When you installed new plugs, did you double check the gap? .043 Use AC Delco plugs? Just throwing it out there, I am learning as well.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Yes sir they were gapped properly. I was worried about that as well but they’re good

Old 09-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Have you tried compression or leak down test to see if you have a valve problem? That caused my rough idle and it was not throwing any codes or CEL, just really rough at idle. Re-machined valves fixed the issue.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:13 PM

That’s probably The next thing I’m going to do. My aftermarket warranty kicks in in three days. I’m going to take it to the dealership, and less somebody else knows a good H3 mechanic in Phoenix. I’ve often wondered if there was an internal engine issue. I bought mine at auction, it was up for sale at Bill Luke Chevrolet for one day and then sent to the auction which is suspicious. The whole reason I bought the aftermarket warranty in the first place. I can say it does run a heck of a lot better since I did all of this maintenance though.