PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't replace your noisy cabin Aspirator, clean it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Default Don't replace your noisy cabin Aspirator, clean it!

So, I have a truck that had so much noise coming from the HVAC Aspirator (small circular vent with holes in it above the left ear of the driver) p/n: GM 22834330, that it was literally putting me in a dizzy trance. Instead of waiting for a new one to come in, I got desperate and broke mine down and I'm glad I did.

1) If your truck has a sunroof, don't go and remove your sun-visor and A-pillar trim to pull down the head-liner like so many suggest; just open the sun-roof, pull back the interior trim and release two velcro patches that attach the head-liner to the roof of the truck; and your there.

2) pry off the interior grill with your favorite trim pry tool and release the aspirator from the hot glue they attached it with during manufacturing (don't worry that was only to hold it place for the grill. The grill is actually what keeps it in position.) Unplug and pull it out.

3) There are 3 plastic tabs on the aspirator housing itself. Release the tabs, open the cover. There you will find your fan and sensor which are held by 3 small black prongs. Using a small screwdriver, compress each side of the prongs to enable you to pull the fan and circuit board from the housing

4) carefully bend back your sensor and then pull you fan straight up and off the circuit board (it's brushless and only held with magnetic force.)

5) take a toothbrush and clean your 2 housing pieces and fan with clean water. Dry thoroughly with a paper towel. Do not clean your board this way. Instead take your damp paper towel and carefully wipe where the fan glides on the base

6) with a very small dab of lithium grease, smear the base the fan glides on, and the shaft of the fan

7) Carefully install the base and electrical board back in to the housing first using a flat blade screwdriver on the plastic base to ensure the base and prongs snap back in to the housing properly. Then replace your fan back on it's base. Carefully bend back the temp sensor and replace the other housing cover.

8) Re-install the aspirator in reverse order.

It took me 30min. Mine was literally so quiet I had to get out my stethoscope in fear that I might have damaged it; nope it was running great but inaudible to the ear.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 PM

cool fix