PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you tow this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Default Would you tow this?

I'm thinking about getting rid of my clapped out 74 Ford F250, but this means I'd be towing my race car and trailer with the H3. It has the class3 hitch. My trailer is a dual axle dovetail car trailer about 18ft long. It weighs ~1200lbs and has electric brakes (but I don't have the controller yet). The car weighs 2800lbs by itself and I'd be bringing about 100lbs of tools and junk with me in the back of the H3. The tow wouldn't be far, maybe 5 miles total on back roads once a week.
I know the capacity is rated at 4500lbs and I should be under that, but there's a bit of tongue weight here. It's got me wondering. Opinions?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Best thing is to just have the setup weighed and have the tongue weight measured, They have cheap scales for that. Safety first on something like that.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
I'm thinking about getting rid of my clapped out 74 Ford F250, but this means I'd be towing my race car and trailer with the H3. It has the class3 hitch. My trailer is a dual axle dovetail car trailer about 18ft long. It weighs ~1200lbs and has electric brakes (but I don't have the controller yet). The car weighs 2800lbs by itself and I'd be bringing about 100lbs of tools and junk with me in the back of the H3. The tow wouldn't be far, maybe 5 miles total on back roads once a week.
I know the capacity is rated at 4500lbs and I should be under that, but there's a bit of tongue weight here. It's got me wondering. Opinions?
I would be concerned about the transmission life. At the least, an aftermarket remote mounted Trans. cooler and a gear swap if you dont have the Adv. Pkgs. 4:56's.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:07 PM

Mack, since you have an 2006 H3 with the 3.5L I5 I would say you may be pushing it a little bit. BUT, you said you are only driving 5 miles once a week.

I would try it out before you sell the "clapped out 74 Ford F250". For that short a distance assuming the back roads are not hills you should be just fine.

As Mark Stevenson mentioned an Aux trans cooler is always a good idea when towing anything. As far as his 4:56 comment. ALL I5s no matter if they are Base, Lux or Adventures came with 4:56 gears.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 AM

I have the same H3, and I would do it for such a short distance, you could always throw your tools in back of the H3. I looked up some pictures of the 1974 Ford F250, it kinda looks like a keeper, but if there is alot of rust, then who knows???

Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
I have the same H3, and I would do it for such a short distance, you could always throw your tools in back of the H3. I looked up some pictures of the 1974 Ford F250, it kinda looks like a keeper, but if there is alot of rust, then who knows???
Well I took the route I would go last night without the trailer and was really paying attention to anything that might give me trouble along the way. After doing this and convincing myself I should be fine I realized I shouldn't even be questioning and if I am it's probably not worth it to risk.
I know "Ol' Blue" will pull the crap out of that trailer and it's done it many many times with Way more weight...but it's a typical old farm truck. It stinks, it's ugly and rusty, and to be honest I'm sure my neighbors hate the eyesore. I do keep it parked behind my house in the driveway so it's not visible from the street though. I usually have to fix something on it after every trip lol but it's dirt cheap. I only use it for pulling the trailer so I considered just getting rid of it and giving that job to the Hummer.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 AM

No problem for me and I have traveled up to 200 miles each way. Don't expect to go over 65 and keep it in 3rd gear. I have 4:56 gears and live in Florida (no hills)

Attached Thumbnails Would you tow this?-loaded-up.jpg  
Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 AM

wow ok. Have you noticed the condition of your trans fluid? Smell burnt at all? Your setup definately weighs more than mine. I do have a couple hills to negotiate is all I'm concerned about. And I'd never be over 40mph.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned
Default 456 gears???

someone,not me, who KNOWS what they are talking about should clear up the 456 thing.
i figure they come in in lo lock,not normal driving and towing even 5 miles is not going to happen in lo lock.

when rollin down the pike im at about 2000 rpm and the final gear aint 456

i note that in lo the rpms go WAY UP and im going nowhere,,,about 3 mpg!!

now,,,that someone,,,

tom

Last edited by drtom; 05-31-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:27 PM

Tranny fluid is perfect, our tranny is the same used in full size pickups. 4L60E, 4L65E

4:56 or 4:10 is the gear ratio of the gears installed in your front and rear differential and has nothing to do with "low lock", that is the transfer case.

Quick Reply: Would you tow this?