PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter and Ice Tires Input

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Default Winter and Ice Tires Input

Looking for some input on snow tires for my stock '06 H3. It's that time of year to start thinking about snowies for us northerners (Canada) and I need to purchase a set this year. I've used snowies on previous vehicles and have a few ideas. First off I have a set of 16" rims from a 2000 Pathfinder that will fit my H3. I'm trying to decide which snow tires to run, size 265/75R16. I had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's on the Pathfinder (wrong size) that were amazing but my budget won't allow them. Michelin X-Ice are garbage. Useless in snow and slush, so their out. Toyo doesn't seem to make a decent snowie for SUVs. A friend runs Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrak 6 ply and loves them. Here is my question these tires look like they'll be good in the snow, but where I live, there is more ice and hard packed snow than the fluffy stuff. They are not true snow tires and are called 4 season tires. Has anyone tried these in icy conditions and how well did they work? Bonus points for Goodyears since I could use them in the summer. Option two is to run Bridgestone Blizzak W965's which are a 10 ply tire but seem to be too rigid to run on a light H3 for winter. Has anyone tried them? Option 3 is to use Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 which are a "P" rated tire, cost less and probably a better ride. Any thoughts? Don't say I don't need snow tires because the H3 has all wheel drive. It still needs to stop. Also it wouldn't be the first, or second, 4X4 of mine with snow tires to get stuck in deep snow on a road. Finally, most mud and snow tires are useless on ice. Currently running BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A LT265/70R17 that were awful last year. Edit: Almost forgot, it's illegal to run studded tires in my part of the province.

Last edited by WR3NCHE4D; 10-22-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot a point.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:56 PM

I can only share my experience so take it for what it is worth.
I'm actively in some of the crudiest, ice covered, blizzard covered road during the winter months at all hours days and nights and have run numerous sets of tires.
*Interco super swampers siped and cut
- great tire for deep snow.... Ice nope!
*Good year gsa, Wrangler, etc..
- sucked on rainy streets lol... Forget snow or ice
*Hankook dynapro
- ok tire
*Patagonia Geo star a/t
- nice tire pretty darn good for a Chinese tire

*Nokian rottiiva a/t 265/75-16
- wow! Great tire... I did a tone of research on tires and put these on 07 H3, 06 H3, 01 Jeep xj
Fantastic tire. Last winter first year with them and very few times needing to go to 4 lo or 4 hi.

Last edited by Happy Hummer; 10-23-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the input. You just made it more difficult. I was pricing the Nokian Hakkapeliita LT2, which puts a set of 4 at $500 above the DuraTraks. Yes, we get screwed for things in Canada. The Nokian Rottiiva AT's are reasonably priced, and the AT Plus (LT tire) is also available, with 17/32" of tread, WOW! Not that I want a 10ply tire for winter. Just waiting on some feedback on the DuraTraks, only because I can get a hell of a deal on them and I'm frugal or cheap.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM

I bought some 285/75/16 master craft courser from amazon. So far great tires. Made by cooper. Good ratings for snow.

Attached Thumbnails Winter and Ice Tires Input-66be91bf-a8e8-4ae6-802c-b7e98246248d.jpeg  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by WR3NCHE4D
... Just waiting on some feedback on the DuraTraks, only because I can get a hell of a deal on them and I'm frugal or cheap.
I've had Duratrac's on my H3 for over 8 years. They are great for the New England weather, ice, snow, rain, etc. The only thing they are not great at is thick sticky mud.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 PM

I installed the BF Goodrich KO2 315/75R16 on my wife 09 H3 and my mom 08 H3 Alpha for 2 years now and never had a problem. It has the snowflake/mountain symbol which consider as a winter tire which is mandatory here in Quebec. It's a great alternatives if you don't want to install a dedicated winter tires and use it all year round.

Last edited by citiboy; 10-24-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 PM

Looks like I'm swaying back to the DuraTraks. Thanks Bunger. Citiboy, I'm aware of the winter tire regulations in Quebec and was hoping one of you would chime in. The DuraTraks also have the mountain/snowflake symbol as do the Nokian Rottiiva ATs. I was just finding it difficult to consider a four season tire to be as good as a snow/winter tire when ice is on the road. I live in Southwestern Ontario and will be making a few trips into the snow belt regions this year. The lakes are very warm this year and that usually results in some good snow storms. The Cooper made Mastercraft Courser don't have the winter symbol so they will be a nope.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:44 PM

From doing a lot of research the 4 season tire will not be as good as a dedicated snow tire. If I were to purchase rims for the H3 I'd keep the old take off's so as to make a dedicated winter tire package. Nokian would be my first stop for there SUV. Also I'd take a look at Continental tires.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:45 PM

One thing for sure I would skip any off road or cross over a/t style tire that is not specifically designed with winter driving in mind.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 PM

Absolutely love my Duratracs. They cut through ice, snow, standing water, etc. with ease. Great off road too and the best you're going to get for mud before going with a pure mud terrain. Decently quiet on the highway for how much tread they have. We're buying a full size SUV for the wife soon and that will get Duratracs too!

Quick Reply: Winter and Ice Tires Input