PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Wheel & Tire setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:45 AM
Default Wheel & Tire setup

I'm looking into finally getting some rims & tires. At first I had the big dilema of whether to go w/ the bling 22's on 305/45's or doing the torsion key lift and slapping some 33's or 35's on the stock rims. I finally made up my mind and choosing to hit the 'dirt-road' (so to speak). Of course to balance the trade-off, I've decided I want to pick up a nice set of wheels to go with the 35's. The rims I found are 18x9.5 w/ simulated beadlocks (yeah, I know simulated) and I was looking at several tires:

Super Swamper Radial IROK 35/14.50/18
Nitto Mud Grappler LT35x12.50/18
Toyo Open Country M/T 35x12.5R18
Pro Comp Mud Terrain 35/12.50R18

Is anyone running any of these, I'm trying to find basic info like road noise, change in MPG, off road performance, etc. I like the agressive look of the Swamper's, but at 14.50s, there'll either be a whole lot of rubber sticking out the sides or I'll be taking VERY wide turns... any input is welcomed.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Default RE: Wheel & Tire setup

hmmm, the only thing I can really help you out with here is that I heard a Dodge Ram drive down the road with Nitto Mud Grapplers on and it was loud as hell, even going 35mph. I definately would never recommend them based off of that alone.

Hopefully some of the more knowledgable guys can chime in and help you

Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM

Doesn't www.tirerack.com or some other place online rate tires and compare specific traits such as road noise? Big Daddy Dennis will be able to help I'm sure...

Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 PM

Agreed ... the Nitto's are LOUD!!! Unfortunately I really like those tires ... then again, isn't everything a trade off to some extent or another!?!

Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 PM

Irok= LOUD and very rough drive
Nitto = LOUD!!
Pro Comp = loud and wear very fast
Toyo = decent tire but not worth the cash IMO

Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, I like the tread design of the grapplers, but if it's loud, how the hell am I gonna sneak in the garage late at night without the wifey hearin'.[sm=bustedsign.gif]

I found this review of several of the tires on my list, it's pretty informative editorial fluff, but not quite the 'first-hand' experience that I was looking for. Maybe others will find it helpful.

Offroad Tire Reviews

See, why can't reviews be more like importkillers, thanks, you just saved me about 1 hour of reading

Old 10-31-2006, 09:37 PM

I have had all 4. I currently have 38" Mud Grapplers on 20" wheels on my dodge, it sounds like I am in a prop plane at any speed. Iroks, wear out in about 12-15k miles, and are loud. Procomps are good tires, but very "ordinary" looking. Toyos are great, pricey but good tires! If you're not in the mud, look at nitto terra grapplers,they are very good tires, wear very well and are quiet. If you want a mud terrain, I would get BFG's or the Toyos! Let see some pics when you decide!!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Like the prior post from cmb396...I've owned/run/drove about every tire out there....I belong to 4 of road clubs. I'm probably in the minority here, but to me, I buy a tire for about a year - maybe you get two...but I either get tired of them, pop one on a trail root or rock / or have somebody offer me a couple hundred for the set and I use it as an excuse to buy new ones [8D]!

I'm buying my 3rd set of Pro Comp X-Terrains for the H3 - I ran two sets on two different jeeps here - I ran one jeep without a locker in places that jeeps with lockers and radial tires couldn't get thru....it's a bias ply - it rides like it....it's a little noisier than a radial, but not nearly as bad as thornbirds or something....and when you get then down to about 12 pounds and they spread out and start grabbing stuff....you'll be amazed at what you can do in them. BTW - I never popped an X- terrain - and ran same trails with others who did pop tires before and after me....the bias ply and very thick sidewalls have so much flex in them.

Gas mileage - can't say - I went from stock jeeps to 4 and 6 in. lifts - 33's and 35's....drop in mileage is due to larger tires...and yes, it did drop, but I didn't balme tires.

Wear? they are uni-directional - so you only rotate in same direction of tread....but I ran a set for 40k miles on the last jeep I traded for H3 - they still looked good... - I drive about 350 miles a week in my job - and drive every trail/rock garden/sand dune I can find on the weekend - all with same tires.....for most of the guys around where I am....X-Terrains are the real deal....we see them everywhere...

looks? - man, they just ROCK. open lug design, side biters, they are like a 350 pound lineman coming at ya.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:34 PM

go with the mickey thompsons mtz's...they are super quiet and aggresive as hell.

the person saying that thornbirds are noisy obviosly have NEVER run thornbirds!! It's the exact opposite actually, thornbirds are designed to be an all terrain tire with huge sidewall lugs that only come into play when in mud,snow or sand. Look at a tread pattern of a thornbird ans you will see what I mean. Thornbirds are super super quiet and wear very well.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:23 PM

I have the 20"wheels with the 33"x12.50" tires on both of my Hummers, I love them not to loud at all and as far as mpg getting a little of 14 mpg.

Quick Reply: Wheel & Tire setup