PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel studs....again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Default Wheel studs....again....

I hope someone has a little knowledge to help me figure out WTF is going on with my wheel studs.

When I bought my wheels they came with new lugs and socket because the lug nut holes are so narrow. Long story short, I went to remove the wheels a while back and 3 of those lug nuts bound up on the stud threads.

Broke 2 studs completely and destroyed the threads on a third stud. Took everything apart and replaced those studs.

I was tired of ripping up the paint on my wheels because the socket is so tight that I ordered new splined lugs online. Same ones in my build thread that I had on my stockers but in chrome. Much skinnier so the splined socket doesn't even come close to touching the sides of the lug holes.

Fast forward to today. I was going to take all my wheels off and run them up to get balanced. Now the other side (passenger) one of the lugs became hard to remove. I forced it off and it destroyed the threads. A second stud broke AGAIN! A third stud started getting hard to remove so I said screw it and tightened it back down. Mind you, these are the new splined lugs.

I'm starting to believe it is not the lugs which are the issue but the studs. This is only happening on the front wheels. There is no problem removing the rear wheels at all.

I never had issues with the factory lugs or the splined lugs on my stock wheels. I doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyone have any ideas??

So now I have to buy another set of lugs and a box of studs since I'm sure these won't be the last to get destroyed when I remove the wheels. Either that or just replace both hubs entirely.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 AM

Sounds like the wrong type of lug nut for the wheel. If the lug doesn't seat properly in the wheel to center it, the wheel itself can ride on the stud.

Tim

Old 03-17-2015, 10:19 AM

Were the lugs the chrome version of the ones I ordered? Link

I'll let you know if I have any issues seating them.

Since the stock lugs worked & stock wheels fit correctly, I'm slightly confused about where to go from there. Maybe the studs or even rotor is a hair off in the front?

From the lugs that you were able to remove, can you see if any properly seat on the rear studs?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:29 PM

The issue isn't with seating the lugs, its with removing them. When I remove them I always end up breaking a stud or it chews through the threads.

I have used these studs in the past as mentioned without issue. That's why it is either the studs (which I doubt) or something with the wheels.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 PM

Did you try swapping the rear wheels (along with the lugs) to the front?
If they work in the back, they should work in the front.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 PM

Maybe the set of lugs you got with the new wheels didn't fit your studs just right and maybe crossthreaded them a little? Then when you put the new set of nuts on, the studs were messed up from taking the other set off?
I would try the splined ones that worked with your original wheels and all new studs.

Don't drive too far with the problem you're having now or one of your wheels might pass you on the road!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:45 PM

I've rotated the tires but kept the lugs at the same wheels.

I do not have the black splined lugs anymore, gave them to the guy who bought my stock wheels along with the stock lugs.