PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your town known for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Default RE: What's your town known for?

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

KITTANNING PA. Armstrong Co.

Formed March 12, 1800 out of Westmoreland, Allegheny and Lycoming counties. Named for Gen. John Armstrong, who had destroyed the Indian village at Kittanning, 1756. Here, county seat was laid out, 1803, and "Daugherty Visible" typewriter invented in 1881.

Built on the site of a Delaware and Shawnee village.

Filming location for:
ยท 2002 movie, "The Mothman Prophecies"

( I know it was not that good)

Really??....I didn't know that...that movie completely freaked me out. Wasn't it suppose to be based on a true story? I don't think your town is too far from me...I'm in Stroudsburg, PA...Monroe County. Guess I should research it and find out something interesting

Old 10-29-2006, 08:26 PM

I used to live in a townhouse when i move out
Cher made a movie there well parts of it called Mermaids
She was three feet from me

AND

Filming location for:
ยท 1998 movie, "A Civil Action"
ยท 2000 movie, "State and Main"

Well-known residents have included:
ยท F. Lee Bailey, lawyer
ยท Charles J. Precourt, astronaut
ยท Isaac Asimov, science fiction writer

Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: H24fun

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

KITTANNING PA. Armstrong Co.

Formed March 12, 1800 out of Westmoreland, Allegheny and Lycoming counties. Named for Gen. John Armstrong, who had destroyed the Indian village at Kittanning, 1756. Here, county seat was laid out, 1803, and "Daugherty Visible" typewriter invented in 1881.

Built on the site of a Delaware and Shawnee village.

Filming location for:
ยท 2002 movie, "The Mothman Prophecies"

( I know it was not that good)

Really??....I didn't know that...that movie completely freaked me out. Wasn't it suppose to be based on a true story? I don't think your town is too far from me...I'm in Stroudsburg, PA...Monroe County. Guess I should research it and find out something interesting

Yea, it was based on a true story from Point Pleasent WV. I guess Kittanning looked like it and they wanted to use the bridge. They shut down traffic for a good while. During the filming, I lived about 1/4 mile away. The red house that the cop lived in was right down the street from my place. A lot of noise and lights.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:11 AM

Okay since everyone is presenting more than one example...

Here is another one..

Oklahoma City: The first Shopping cart was invented and used here....Hence the first parking lot door ding

The first shopping cart was introduced on June 4, 1937, the invention of Sylvan Goldman, owner of the Piggly-Wiggly supermarket chain in Oklahoma City. With the assistance of Fred Young, a mechanic, Goldman constructed the first shopping cart, basing his design on that of a wooden folding chair. They built it with a metal frame and added wheels and wire baskets, and advertised the invention as part of a new โ€œNo Basket Carrying Plan.โ€

Old 10-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Prescott was once the capital of Arizona. It should be known as Hummerland (there, it is Hummer related) because of the incredible off roading that it offers. Sedona looks exactly like Moab, plus deep forests, sandy deserts, boulder country, lots of snow, lots of ghost towns and abandoned mining towns. It was just picked as second best place to retire in.
Many auto makers test their new cars here because of the extreme summer heat down south and for extreme cold winter driving up north. It is not uncommon to seethe new models, slightly disgused, driving around in caravans.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:29 AM
JM

Nothing Really is worth mentioning about St TROPEZ, except that is the ONLY 5000 inhabitant village known worldwide!.

The village has been founded by a famous french ADMIRAL, Bailly de SUFFREN in 1565 and remained a small fisherman village until 1959 when the famous french actress BRIGITTE BARDOT bought a house here, bringing with her the rich and famous and... the paparazzis!

Today St TROPEZ is a , very small, mix of Palm Beach, Malibu and Hollywood.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 AM
JM

Ah, I forgot to mention that St TROPEZ is also the ONLY place in France where you can find 5 H2 and 2H3!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JM

Ah, I forgot to mention that St TROPEZ is also the ONLY place in France where you can find 5 H2 and 2H3!
That's what I'M talkin about

Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Carson City, Nevada - We have 5 or 6 whorehouses! Probably the most famous is the Moonlight Bunny Ranch - featured in the HBO show Cathouse. They are not really in the city but about 2 miles out of the city limits.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:44 PM

My home town Depew reallly has nothing to offer however Buffalo beside having too much snow was the founder of chicken wings at The Anchor Bar Restaurant. Buffalo Chicken wings are deep fried (not baked like some places try to pass off) Drounded in a combonation of melted butter and Franks Original Hot sauce served with Blue Cheese dressing (Not ranch) and cellery sticks. mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty!!!

Quick Reply: What's your town known for?