PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your town known for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Default What's your town known for?

Name ONE thing different, off the wall and/or unique about your town you're living in right now, that has something in common with all 50 States.

For example;

Oklahoma City: Parking meters, the first one was invented and installed here.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Default RE: What's your town known for?

Winnie The Pooh is named after Winnipeg (my home city)!!

Winnipeg Bear, the inspiration for Winnie-the-Pooh, was not actually born in Winnipeg. Instead, Winnipeg Bear was purchased in White River, Ontario, by an officer (Lieutenant Harry Colebourn) of the Fort Garry Horse cavalry regiment en route to his embarkation point for the front lines of World War I. He named the bear after the regiment's home town of Winnipeg. In 1924, on an excursion to the London Zoo with neighbour children, Christopher Robin Milne, son of author A. A. Milne, was introduced to Winnie for the first time.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:02 AM

Edison, NJ....Named after Thomas Edison who lived here and invented the incandesant lightbulb. He also invented the phonograph so Edison NJ is the birthplace of recorded sound. In addition to his work with incandescent light and the phonograph, he built the world's first electric railroad in Edison. Pretty cool, too bad I had to look it up online...lol.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:01 AM

KITTANNING PA. Armstrong Co.

Formed March 12, 1800 out of Westmoreland, Allegheny and Lycoming counties. Named for Gen. John Armstrong, who had destroyed the Indian village at Kittanning, 1756. Here, county seat was laid out, 1803, and "Daugherty Visible" typewriter invented in 1881.

Built on the site of a Delaware and Shawnee village.

Filming location for:
· 2002 movie, "The Mothman Prophecies"

( I know it was not that good)

Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 PM

what does this have to do with hummers? we need a special section for this kind o' stuff

Sacramento, CA
first incorporated city in CA, in 1849 at the height of the gold rush. most famous current resident - Conan the Barbarian. you know you've all seen it, so just go ahead and admit to it. personally, one of my favorite movies, i have it on dvd and vhs.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 PM

The Metz car http://www.islandneighborhood.org/metz.htm
Waltham Watch
Steam engines
Lally Column
Power steering
Crayola crayons
Plus a lot more

http://www.waltham-community.org/history.html
http://www.crmi.org/index.htm

Old 10-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Clifton Suspension Bridge built by one of the worlds great engineer's Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806 - 1859)

[IMG]

Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 PM

Gary Grant was born here also!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Another one my favourite bridge!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

My home town I moved out of 1 1/2 years ago is Cicero, IL, better known as Al Capone's headquarters, which was about 1 mile down the street from me. It was a bank at the time, then a currency exchange, and now, a mexican clothing store! Go Figure!

We are also known for the Martin Luther King's march in the 60's since it was targetted toward the town specifically.

I don't live anywhere famous now, but where I'm moving to, is known to have the first of many things, including a main staging area for the civil war amry's and all this other "stuff" i forget right now. It also has one of the oldest working railroad stations in the country.

Quick Reply: What's your town known for?