PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Whats A Good Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Default Whats A Good Alternator?

I need to replace my alternator. The bearings are clearly bad. I like to call it the poor mans supercharger..it has a nice whirrr to it.

My truck is often in the mud and sand. Since that was likely the culprit here, what is a good alternator that can handle the junk I throw at it? Maybe even a higher amp alternator since I run a winch and lots of lights also.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Anybody have thoughts on this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUMME...Q5fAccessories

The 250 Amp from Teka looks nice..but $$$$$$$$

Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Depending where your at on the West Coast alot of auto stores carry DENSO after market products. DENSO makes high quality parts and their alternators are superior.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I need to replace my alternator. The bearings are clearly bad. I like to call it the poor mans supercharger..it has a nice whirrr to it.

My truck is often in the mud and sand. Since that was likely the culprit here, what is a good alternator that can handle the junk I throw at it? Maybe even a higher amp alternator since I run a winch and lots of lights also.
You could watch eBay for a used factory alternator. They go for around $25 usually. Sounds like you can wait a week or two.

Last edited by atashashane; 07-24-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 AM

They could watch ebay for an alternator, but I think at this point they already might have one. I don't think Ghostrider would still be waiting over a year for a reply!!!LMAO

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 AM

HA! Actually...I never did change the alternator. The dealer keeps telling me its about to die..and 3 years later..its still running. However it is pretty noisy. The truck just went in for a exhaust manifold leak ($600) and they quoted me $500 to replace the stock alternator!!!

So I'm still looking for tips on a place to get an alternator..I would like something higher than OEM but not quite the $900 version on tekatoys.com...

Also, does anybody have tips on replacing the alternator?? Is it an easy job? Looks like its only 3 or 4 bolts to me after the belt is loosened...but I've said that before...

Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Edit: $800 for the manifold

Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 PM

Boy they got you good on that header leak.. Ouch..

Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Yeah..throw in gaskets, broken bolts, broken sensor and an oil change and it was $1,009.00
They charged over $500 just for the new manifold...I figured I could have done it for about $400 in my driveway but oh well...a job I wasn't willing to do myself...so I guess thats the price you pay.

Anyway..now that the alternator is not drowned out by a leaky manifold...its got a nice poor mans supercharger whine...but its gotta be fixed.

Just took a peek at the alternator and its burried under a few A/C lines...does anybody know how to take out the alternator?? Or know of a service manual that could lend guidance?

I guess a good place to start is de-tensioning the belt...any tips?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM

I have had the best luck with AC delco reman products.

Quick Reply: Whats A Good Alternator?