PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what year H3 to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 4xmore=H1
i didnt not say we want the h3 for fuel economy did i?

fuel cost is not an issue in here even if any of my h1s goes 200 yard per gallon

we want a smaller hummer and that is the h3 and yet we want that excellent off road capability of the hummer.

h2 looks sweet but we think h3 is better and lighter and with fully offroad prepared like my diesel range rover for overland travel it will be totally cool.

so late 08 and up is what i should look for? and with adventure package correct?

can i find out if it has adventure package based on vin# most of the owners dont know sh.t what it has so i have to do my own search on the truck they are selling

tnx very much

Eric
'09/'10 Adventure if you want both front and rear lockers. '08 will only have rear.

Don't let some of the negative attitudes turn you off this site. There's a lot of info and help to be found here.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by staggs
curious as to why it must have the 3.5/3.7 liter and not the v8?

I fully get the H3 as a play toy for weekend adventures, I was a jeep man for years and know how sometimes smaller is better, especially on trails, but I got used to my daily driver that was a caddy cts and it's luxury and the jeep got to feel like a tin can on wheels so I went to an H3.

I'm just curious of he five cylinder part and depending how extreme you're planning to get you may wish for the extra power. especially if you're planning on Avignon anything larger than 35s, the five bangers have th tallest size gear ratio made for our diffs and th v8 can only be upgraded to what's in the five, so don't look to have much torque on a five with anything bigger than a 35, unless you do custom front and rear ends, which if that's the case you might as well go a complete different route. even in 4 low it's not the best, nothing like what my tj had with the 4.0 liter. that thing when you kiked it into 4low with the front sways disconnected the entire body shifted to the right from torque.

the H3 we get won't go true extreme offtoad. More like a desert exploration truck. That's why the v8 won't be necessary. And I spoke with many 5 cyl owners non of them complained about its offtoad capacity. I know v8 is a much better motor if we find the h3 we like even if it has v8 we may get it.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by 4xmore=H1
so late 08 and up is what i should look for? and with adventure package correct?

can i find out if it has adventure package based on vin# most of the owners dont know sh.t what it has so i have to do my own search on the truck they are selling
I've got an 2009 H3T Adventure, and I'm very glad I have the front locker. It was very useful is some real tough spots.

The way to tell if an H3 has the Adventure/Off-Road package is a quick look at the dash. Some guys on here know how to decode the vin#, but I don't. Doc Olds might.

this is a 2008 H3 Adventure, only had the rear diff lock available:

this is a 2009 H3 Adventure, notice the added front diff lock:

this is an H3 WITHOUT Adventure, notice no diff lock:

you can also tell by the factory tire size on the sticker inside the door, the Adventure will have the 285/75R16 tire size:

Oh and the difference between people calling it an Off Road package vs Adventure package. Adventure=i5 , Off Road=v8(Alpha)

Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scouser
2009 Championship edition has both lockers and the V8 engine. This is the one to get if you can.
I agree. IMO the 2009 H3 CE is the best of the best of the H3 models - the most capable out-of-the-factory box and best factory-equipped H3 made. It came with the V8, front & rear lockers, cast-iron front diff, 4:1 transfer case, factory-installed under carriage protection, black brushguard, 33" tires, factory-installed fender flares & specially-tuned shocks. I have one of these with 7,400 miles on it - saving it for when my H3T dies. There is one for sale right now on Ebay for a heck of a good price. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by Bigunit; 08-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.