PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by badss98
I think your weakest link in the h2 will be the transmission. I would use the h2 forget the truck and spend the extra on a solid transmission rebuild so all the extra power from motor and towing will be contained and you will have one hell of a tow and fun suv.
Im already looking into doing the 4L80E swap. Seems most stuff can be bought off the shelf and I know I have a tuner local that can do the computer stuff. Looking at the Stg 2 tranny and convertor from Jakes performance.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MVR 155
If you are doing a H/C install similar to the other setup/dyno number you posted, where did it make peak torque? If the new setup is making max power/torque at higher RPM's than stock it could have an adverse effect on towing ability. Are you planning to be towing anywhere in the mountains? Flat ground towing is one thing but add steep grades and it's a whole other ballgame. If most of the towing you plan to do is flatland then you should be just fine...... if you plan to do any significant towing in the mountains then I wouldn't think twice, I'd get a diesel.
His peak TQ was around 4900rpm. His graph isnt real clear.
And we are in FL, and mainly will be towing around here so its fairly flat. Maybe a trip to the mountains every once in a while, but really not very often.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Signal25
His peak TQ was around 4900rpm. His graph isnt real clear.
And we are in FL, and mainly will be towing around here so its fairly flat. Maybe a trip to the mountains every once in a while, but really not very often.

Something to consider..... the 6.0L engine stock makes 325hp@5200rpm and 365tq@3600rpm

Figure a 20% loss through the driveline given the 4wd and heavy driveline components. This gives you 260hp/292tq at the wheels. With the new H/C setup you are picking up over 30hp at the wheels which is nice but not super impressive but you are only picking up 5tq and moving it up by 1300rpm into a significantly higher RPM range..... This setup may make the truck a hair faster empty but will actually make it suffer as a tow rig. I'm not trying to be a downer but if you intend to tow with it I would specifically look to set up for towing..... with a truck this heavy you want torque at low RPM to get it rolling. I would be spec'ing your setup for maximum torque at low RPM.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:52 AM

We were building my truck for Tq at lower RPMs, just never had towing in mind till my work situation changed. Now I'm trying to use it for something that it wasn't intended to be used for, if that makes sense.
And I'm still waiting for him to answer the LSA question in his thread. If he used a shelf cam, most of them are 114 LSA in the 212/218. Mine was custom cut on a 112 LSA which should move my Tq peak down. Also, I'm running LTs, which should move my peak Tq down.
I'm not trying to argue, I do agree with what you are saying. Its why I started this thread. I'm having second doubts as to whether my H2 I built for trail riding is going to make a decent tow vehicle now that things have changed. Or should I just buy another truck specifically for towing.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Signal25
We were building my truck for Tq at lower RPMs, just never had towing in mind till my work situation changed. Now I'm trying to use it for something that it wasn't intended to be used for, if that makes sense.
And I'm still waiting for him to answer the LSA question in his thread. If he used a shelf cam, most of them are 114 LSA in the 212/218. Mine was custom cut on a 112 LSA which should move my Tq peak down. Also, I'm running LTs, which should move my peak Tq down.
I'm not trying to argue, I do agree with what you are saying. Its why I started this thread. I'm having second doubts as to whether my H2 I built for trail riding is going to make a decent tow vehicle now that things have changed. Or should I just buy another truck specifically for towing.

I hear you and understand why you are asking the questions hence the reason I replied as I did. You may want to (if you have not already) spend some time over at gmfullsize.com and see if you can find more info regarding setting up the 6.0L for towing.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 PM

03 H2 We towed a 29 ft FR Surveyor travel trailer at 6800 lbs. Had no problems in the VA and NC mountains. Never went out west so that may be a different story.