PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

What octane fuel results in best economy/power in these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Which motor did the passat have and which tuning software? A vw motor is VERY different from an inline 5 GM motor... but I understand your point.

What did the dyno come up with for power in the different points?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
Ya I've been considering a scan gauge. That way I know optimium acceleration rates, cruising mph, etc. Thanks for the input. What are they going for nowadays? 2-300$ still?
Cheaper than that, I see them offered a lot of places for like 180$
http://www.scangaugegarage.com

I also know that you can get group buy pricing which is even better

Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

Thats not too bad. Might end up being worth it. Thanks for the info

Old 05-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Hey guys, I'm Jarrett with Scangauge Garage. Just wanted to say here that I'd be more than happy to get you guys a deal on the gauges if you're interested.

I know most club forums have rules about selling so I won't go Mr. Salesman on anyone here, but with that said I'd be happy to get you guys a smokin' deal and I'll leave it at that.

(FYI, H3 owner as well!)

If anyone is interested feel free to send me a PM or an email and I'd be happy to get a deal going for the club members.

care (at) scangaugegarage.com or Here

Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScangaugeGarage
Hey guys, I'm Jarrett with Scangauge Garage. Just wanted to say here that I'd be more than happy to get you guys a deal on the gauges if you're interested.

I know most club forums have rules about selling so I won't go Mr. Salesman on anyone here, but with that said I'd be happy to get you guys a smokin' deal and I'll leave it at that.

(FYI, H3 owner as well!)

If anyone is interested feel free to send me a PM or an email and I'd be happy to get a deal going for the club members.

care (at) scangaugegarage.com or Here
I do have a question about the scanguage. does it show real time MPH with non stock oversized tires or does it mimick the speedometer?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by marksteven
I do have a question about the scanguage. does it show real time MPH with non stock oversized tires or does it mimick the speedometer?
It can actually do both of those things. Normally what you'll see reported in the ScanGauge is the same MPH as the speedo in the vehicle, so it won't 'automatically' adjust for bigger tires.

But you can easily apply a correction factor in the ScanGauge however. The correction factor is whatever percent larger your new tires are. So if you go from a 285/75R16 to a 315/75R16 you're looking at about 5% bigger. You just plug 5% into the ScanGauge and the digital speedo on the gauge will show your correct speed.

You can also use the same speedo correction feature to correct for gear changes as well as tires (gear swaps don't seem common on the H3s but handy for Mustang and Camaro owners, etc).

I hope that helps!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ScangaugeGarage
It can actually do both of those things. Normally what you'll see reported in the ScanGauge is the same MPH as the speedo in the vehicle, so it won't 'automatically' adjust for bigger tires.

But you can easily apply a correction factor in the ScanGauge however. The correction factor is whatever percent larger your new tires are. So if you go from a 285/75R16 to a 315/75R16 you're looking at about 5% bigger. You just plug 5% into the ScanGauge and the digital speedo on the gauge will show your correct speed.

You can also use the same speedo correction feature to correct for gear changes as well as tires (gear swaps don't seem common on the H3s but handy for Mustang and Camaro owners, etc).

I hope that helps!
Excellent! i was thinking about getting one and didnt know if there was the ability to adjust for the tire size . thanks.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Banned

Well during my 2000mile round trip, I've come to the certain conclusion that there is NO difference between mileage of the 87 and 89 nature. I got a consitant 18-18.5mpg the entire trip, regardless of octane.

BTW, 18mpg highway really sucks. Thats not cool.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM

I can't believe how many posts this thread has gotten, it's awesome

Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
BTW, 18mpg highway really sucks. Thats not cool.

That's what it's supposed to get. With a rack, winch, wheel/tires If I get about 15 for freeway trips. What kind of mileage do you really think your going to get out of a 5,000 pound brick with tires stuck on it?

Quick Reply: What octane fuel results in best economy/power in these trucks?