PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"What is that noise?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Default "What is that noise?"

That's the question I am asked every time someone rides in my H3T. At the risk of sounding like an idiot I have never asked anyone what it could be because I have never owned a pick up before but have never experienced this issue with any other vehicle. What happens is when I am driving at slow speeds (<35mph) and go around a curve or over a bump, the entire truck body and frame will make a creaking/popping sound until the road straightens or smooths out again. I never thought it was much of an issue but everyone who has ever been in my truck has asked me about it, and I don't know what to tell them. My sister even suggested it was a wheel bearing going bad, but I've never had this problem because of a failing wheel bearing in other rides. Is this anything to worry about? Is it normal? Or is there possibly something really wrong with my H3T?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Kinda sounds like a loose body mount or maybe a broken rear leaf spring. Its not normal. My H3T makes no noise and yours shouldnt either. If your not comfortable crawling around under it to check for problems ,, take it in. Shouldnt be a charge being new. Hope this helps, Keep us informed.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by StarsnBars
Kinda sounds like a loose body mount or maybe a broken rear leaf spring. Its not normal. My H3T makes no noise and yours shouldnt either. If your not comfortable crawling around under it to check for problems ,, take it in. Shouldnt be a charge being new. Hope this helps, Keep us informed.
Thanks for the info. It didn't make this noise when I first bought it but started after only about 2 weeks. I just figured it was because it wasn't brand brand new anymore and it was normal for such a vehicle. My sister has to have her H3 serviced for some engine problems so I'll have them look at mine when I driver here there to pick it up.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM

The noise you are describing has several postings on here about it. Quite a few of us have got the noise on our T's. Some have had the stealerships lubricate the body mounts and it seems to go away for awhile sometimes it comes back. Mine makes it every once in a blue moon.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKH3T
The noise you are describing has several postings on here about it. Quite a few of us have got the noise on our T's. Some have had the stealerships lubricate the body mounts and it seems to go away for awhile sometimes it comes back. Mine makes it every once in a blue moon.
That's interesting. I Googled the issue before posting anything on here but found nothing, but have found several similar issues on here. Unfortunately everything from the steering column to the body mounts to those plastic trim pieces on either side of the windshield could be the culprit. Hopefully the dealer can find it and provide a permanent fix.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Just an update...

It was 26F Sunday morning and the noise was very very faint on my way to work, but today it was 71F and it was just as bad as ever. I'm thinking it must be the body mounts--anyone have a ballpark estimate as to how long it would take the dealer to fix it? The Hummer dealer where I bought it is 200 miles away so I would hate to have to drop it off for service.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 AM

I ended up taking the T back to the dealer yesterday for an oil change, the recall on the hood louver, and the noise. Turns out, it was the body mounts and they lubed them and retightened them. The noise is about 99% gone but the mechanic said it should stop completely after the lube works in good. It only took about 2 1/2 hours to do everything too. Hopefully this will fix the problem.