PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird idle after spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 AM

@khrome- how do I find it and what exactly am I looking for?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Check the solenoid for a screen that's plugged, missing or damaged. Also check for oil leaking in or around the connector. View Pic Below.

http://www.khrome.us/files/CAS.jpg

Last edited by Khrome; 07-09-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Alright well just got done cleaning the throttle body and maf sensor. Went on a test drive and no more rough idling. Actully feels smoother going through gears. I also pulled the solenoid also, it had all 3 screens. Lets see if anything goes off here in the next couple days. Thanks for all the help fellas!!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM

I knew it! No Head problems..............yet!!! j/k My rough idle has returned, but like I said I think I killed my MAF sensor when I sprayed it with brake cleaner

Folks here recommended Techron concentrated injector cleaner and i swear by the stuff too!!! I drop a bottle every month and it takes the rough idle away!!! Glad to hear it worked out!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
I knew it! No Head problems..............yet!!! j/k My rough idle has returned, but like I said I think I killed my MAF sensor when I sprayed it with brake cleaner
WOW! You tried cleaning your MAF sensor with brake cleaner? With so many posts on this subject telling people NOT to use anything but MAF cleaner?

Removed the second paragraph to be more "sensitive" to others feelings.

Last edited by TAINTER; 07-12-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Well tainter anyone reading a forum full of non ASE certified mechanics should be skeptical!
I did the brake cleaner action on my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel and it actually LIKES it!!! Didnt subscribe to this forum until after working this H3 on my own. Been turning wrenches since I was 14 years old, but im no mechanic and we make mistakes. Built my Ram by using advice from forums, and I for one know you need to be skeptical of what you read on the internet HELLO!!!!!

A perfect example is this very thread, people here jump off yelling "HEAD PROBLEM!" but they have no substance to their claim. So with our friend here the case in point, he took my advice cleaned his MAF and TB and is all good!!!!! Right??? So pump your breaks Tainter! before you go around bashing people, cause the other thing about the internet is that you dont know who the people are on the other side of this keyboard, and should be filtering what you post before you really **** somebody off!!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
A perfect example is this very thread, people here jump off yelling "HEAD PROBLEM!" but they have no substance to their claim. So with our friend here the case in point, he took my advice cleaned his MAF and TB and is all good!!!!! Right??? So pump your breaks Tainter! before you go around bashing people, cause the other thing about the internet is that you dont know who the people are on the other side of this keyboard, and should be filtering what you post before you really **** somebody off!!
HawaiianH3: EXACTLY! 100% correct! I did notice the thread going to the "head issue" but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the "head issue" or it's symptoms so that info may be true or false. Who am I to judge? Once again I have never had any firsthand knowledge of that particular issue. You suggested for the OP to try the "TB cleaning" and it worked! Congratulations. At least you had the wherewithal to say that brake cleaner may have killed your MAF sensor. I will retract my previous second paragraph. I was thinking it and I posted it. However I still feel the same way about what I typed.

To tell you the honest truth, I don't really care "who the people are on the other side of this keyboard". I know that's not very PC of me but, I'm not here to make lifelong friends (already have many of those) or be PC. Filtering (editing) my words to be PC is not how I have ever got along in my life and it never will be. I give people enough rope to hang themselves with and when they do ... well you have seen that. I guess I rub some thin skinned people the wrong way and others like a refreshing straight forward honest approach. To each his own.

Mod On!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

This thread should be titled "Wierd idle before AND after spark plug change."

Wonder how MAF cleaner works on brakes?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Hear that, "to each his own" I got no beefs man, and if your just being "straight up" then its all good, cause if you did know me I can be the most sarchastic *** out there. lol
My last few words were threatening too man my bad!

Willing to confess im one to put it ALL OUT THERE, including what a "brokecahanic" I am... so need to learn humbleness when others poke me!!

For what its worth I can see you know your way around these vehicles and want to know everything you know about them.

MOD on!!!

Back to topic; Why does GM use Delphi on most of its electronics but not the MAF? found this on the Delphi site, which would explain why my Diesel can handle the Brake Cleaner and not the H3!
Delphi Probe Air Meters measure the mass of air ingested by the engine using hot wire anemometry. The concept is simple, the implementation is unique. The heart of the design is a platinum-based, glass-coated, heated sensing element which is a low mass, quick responding device used in a bridge circuit configuration. The element leads have the unique combination of high electrical conductivity and low thermal conductivity to maximize the signal to noise ratio of the air flow. The "brains" of Delphi Probe Air Meters are contained in a custom integrated circuit.
The output signal of Delphi Probe Air Meters is determined by the power required to keep the heated sensing elements at a fixed temperature above ambient. For gasoline engines, the control module utilizes the air meter output signal to precisely determine the scheduling of fuel, enabling an optimal air/fuel ratio and, thus, helping reduce emissions while maintaining drivability. For diesel engines, the controller typically uses the air meter to schedule exhaust gas recirculation.
As more stringent emissions regulations are applied to diesel engines, accurate air flow becomes more and more important. To help manufacturers meet the requirements, Delphi now offers the most accurate air meters in the industry.

Delphi Probe Air Meters

Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Hey guys what's up? So I have an 06 h3 with 73000 mileson it and everyonce in a while I'm getting a rough idle I guess I would call it and it's driving me nuts I'm ready to hook a boat go to the dock and put the truck in neutral.so the truck was riding fine a few days ago and all of the sudden it's really shaky and feels really under powers, I really got to push the gas to move and the gas pedal also feels really tight today when I push it. I have no engine light on.i don't think it's gas or if it is there is a lot of bad gas out there. So I start the truck this morning let it warm up a little. The steering wheel has a lot of vibration in it,then I drive and it doesn't really go anywhere I feel like I'm driving up a hill with that under powered feeling, but the funny thing is there is no hill I'm on flat ground. I would really appreciate some info back I'm going nuts with this

Quick Reply: Weird idle after spark plug change