PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak - NOT A DRAIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 10:25 AM
Question Water leak - NOT A DRAIN

This is really stumping me (and the shop) My H2 (2007) after a big rain and tornado weekend had seriously .5 inch of water front to back. Thats ALOT of water. Pillars were wet also. Took it in, ended up 5 weeks, new headliner (they tore it trying to clean it) and the stereo suddenly quit as well. They chalked it all up to cab lights and replaced the stereo, headliner, and sealed the lights. A week later MORE WATER after a heavy rain.
Back to the shop and they can't find the leak. They have replaced the carpet underpadding and have it totally stripped out and have checked the sunroof drains but can't find the leak. I advised them also on the way to them the second trip that it sounded like water was sloshing on the passenger side but near the floor.
Am I missing something here? Sunroof drains seemed obvious.
All new lights have been purchased for peace of mind but 6 weeks is getting stupid.
Any insight to this mess or an alternative idea on a leak that is so bad?

Old 03-29-2023, 01:28 PM

maybe while the headliner is off they should check if the seam sealer adhesive on the roof panel has degraded and cracked and the roof rail mounting points to the roof. they should also check the top of the windshield for bad seal and the A pillars for bad sealing. another point of water entry can be the rubber seal that runs from the front door down the top side of the truck.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:06 PM

This one kicked me for a bit to finally track down.... Mine was leaking where I marked in red and that somehow makes it past the inner weatherstrip and into the inside if it is leaking behind it there.

Attached Thumbnails Water leak - NOT A DRAIN-img_0706.jpg  
Old 04-01-2023, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
This one kicked me for a bit to finally track down.... Mine was leaking where I marked in red and that somehow makes it past the inner weatherstrip and into the inside if it is leaking behind it there.
my weather stripping is in terrible shape there on both sides but doesn’t leak inside. There is another set of seals it would have to get passed.

OP, I would recommend making sure all door seals are in good shape. Make sure they sealed the middle cab lights AND the corner cab lights. Those leak the most and they are a PAIN to get to and seal. Inspect the sunroof surround catch(that catches the water before going in the drains) for cracks.

do you have a picture of stains on the headliner? That would be indicative of where the leak is coming from.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:12 PM

Mine had the same bathtub-when-it-rains issue. Local GM dealership was useless. Tommy’s crew out of Cold Air Comfort in Oakland Park FL finally figured it out: black rtv INSIDE the top & sides of all the door opening weather seals = stops all leaks.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:08 PM

Bronxtech was correct partially. The rails were also leaking as well as the cab lights. Had them all replaced with smoked ones. Did windshield as well. Thankfully the insurance company covered a new headliner as well as resealing the entire interior roof. The stereo wiring got wet so they did an big oversized screen unit. I'm feeling a little spoiled. With 285k miles she continues to look brand new.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:29 PM

@MixManSC can you tell me what that piece is called, i need these for sure, this is where my is soaking the floor, right in the bend, the weather strip is seprated from the pinch weld, well thats for starters, but i need this strip and dont know what the name is ,

Old 09-13-2023, 10:26 AM

removed mine and cleaned it very vigorously in a soapy water bucket. to remove all the dirt and slimy crap that was sitting in the pinch channel with a stiff brush and a flat tip screw driver then let it dry. i put the weather strip back on and in that area mixman shows the red line, i used a strip of 5/16" 3M VHB tape between the weatherstrip and body. NOT in the weather strip channel