Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Water Leak in Driver Footwell

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 07:07 AM
Default Water Leak in Driver Footwell

Hi,

I have a 2009 H3 Hummer that I have owned since new, it has well over 200,000km on the clock and I have recently had the automatic transmission rebuild as it died.

In the last week or two I have noticed water in the driver footwell, we had a lot of rain lately and I assumed it was just water from the rain or possibly sunroof drain tubes.

I park the car in a dry shed and I dried the carpet out, and on the week end on a nice sunny day I took her out to go fishing and the carpet was wet again when I got home, I could not see where the water comes from.

Anyone have any idea what the issue may be?? And more importantly how to fix it.

Photo of my H3 attached for interest.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Did you do the fix for the sunroof drain tubes yet?

Old 02-14-2022, 04:44 PM

You need to lift the carpet to fully dry it out & spray water outside while looking inside for water intrusion. VW has more issues than Hummer, and more how-to videos:

Old 02-15-2022, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
You need to lift the carpet to fully dry it out & spray water outside while looking inside for water intrusion. VW has more issues than Hummer, and more how-to videos:
https://youtu.be/SFeCUg7U5eI
https://youtu.be/0we2J_asBiM

The car sits in a waterproof shed, there is no water on the outside of the car, it was driven on a sunny hot summers day. No rain. I checked the carpet prior to driving the car it was bone dry.

Old 02-15-2022, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Did you do the fix for the sunroof drain tubes yet?
Sunroof drain tubes are fine, pretty sure they would only leak in the rain not on a hot summers day. There must be something that leaks inside the car.

Car has not been driven for days now, we had no rain, and car is in dry storage, carpet is bone dry, taking her out tomorrow so will see if it gets wet again

Old 02-15-2022, 05:49 AM

This is what it looked like after getting back from my last drive.

Tomorrow I will take a before and after photo. Carpet is dry now, car has been parked in dry storage car has not been in rain or been washed for at least two weeks.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:57 AM

Leaking heater core?
Not sure where the heater core is on a SA built H3.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

If your sunroof drains are PLUGGED, the water that stays inside can be significantly more than you believe and drip for days. Again, fix the sunroof drains.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie H3
The car sits in a waterproof shed, there is no water on the outside of the car, it was driven on a sunny hot summers day. No rain. I checked the carpet prior to driving the car it was bone dry.
You missed it! Simple to check if the water intrusion was caused by rain. Garden hose, or take it to a car wash and check inside.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
If your sunroof drains are PLUGGED, the water that stays inside can be significantly more than you believe and drip for days. Again, fix the sunroof drains.
+the padding under the carpet is like a sponge, water will be there until you lift the carpet and dry it out.

Quick Reply: Water Leak in Driver Footwell