PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Default Warranty Question

Looking for a straight answer to this. According to the service manager at Orlando Hummer the wheel wells will accomodate 35" tires without a lift or level or any other adjustments/modifications. Because I wanted one, I had a leveling kit done today and am now picking out th 35's that I want to put on. I called the service manager back and asked about calibrating the speedometer and odometer once the 35's were installed. As a rule I would not care too much about this, but I use my H3 for business and drive about 3k miles per month and I am reimbursed at a per mile rate by my employer so if the mileage is off, this affects me financially. The service manager said that GM would not allow a recalibrating of the speedo/odo. He also said that a 35" tire was out of spec for that vehicle and that if I had any tranny problems that could be tied back to the tires the repair would not be covered under warranty. When I asked about his previous statement about 35's fitting without adjustment and the price quote he gave for installing them there at the dealership.......I could hear the crickets chirping in the background.

Anyone out there who can verify this in one direction or the other?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Default RE: Warranty Question

The aftermarket tire shop MAY have something to recalibrate the speedo but I really don't think that the jump from a 33inch (largest HUMMER offers) to a 35inch would noticeably decrease your out-of-pocket expense.

Just because 35's CAN be installed, doesn't mean that the dealer would recommend them or have to warranty any malfunctions because of the overall tire size. Same goes for lifts, suspension kits, performance parts, etc.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:18 PM

I guess maybe a good follow up question might be, "Can going from 31 or 33 inch tires to 35's cause tranny problems and if the answer is yes, how likely is it to cause tranny problems?"

Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM

well the bigger and heavier the tires and whels are, the ahrder the tranny has to work to move them, is the theory, same goes for breaking, put big *** rims and tires on your ride, and your stock brakes may have issues.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:08 PM

The service manager cannot deny any warranty work. Only GM can. I've had over $15K of warranty work done on my rig, almost all of it with 35's on. Also, according to the Magnusson-Moss Act, they would have to prove that the larger tires were the cause of the failure.

As for the speedo, the dealerships can/will only program for stock size tires. Find a friend/shop with a tuner that can do it or get one of the online places to do it, like PCMforless.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Sewie

The service manager cannot deny any warranty work. Only GM can.
From everything I've seen, the service managers are much more lenient than the GM reps...and it's extremely rare for a GM rep to not back up a warranty decision IN FAVOR of the customer most of the time it's just the opposite.

$15K in warranty work makes me wonder about the person behind the wheel...

Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Only a GM employee can deny a warranty claim, not a dealer schmuck!

You could have saved $$ and skipped the levelling kit, you did not need it as has been said in about a 100 threads on here. [&o]

Some of my favs. Search and you shall find.One of the best Front Leveling/Shocks & 35" Tire/Wheel FAQ; RE: How much can I lift the H3 without...;
RE: Asking advice on H3 leveling kit (Please); RE: Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment; Leveling Kits - Can Anyone Explain Their Value?;
RE: Readylift or Truxxx Lift Leveling Kit? Ready to buy
; RE: Front End Lift Followup; RE: Shocks

Like Sewie said, get a PCMforless tune and they can calabrate your PCM to your new tire size.

Yes, bigger tires take more muscle to turn and stop because they change your final gear to ground ratio....and they are also heavier.
Good luck.
[align=right]
[/align]

Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Brian is correct that many modifications can affect your warranty. As to the comment about "dealer schmucks", I've worked in a Cadillac HUMMER dealership for 5.5 years, and we don't employ schmucks. I can guarantee that if you approach your dealership service writer with that attitude, you'll be treated like the schmuck (albeit subtlely) with a nice "customer pay" bill! I can't say that I recall a time that a tire size change resulted in a problem (unless the customer treated the service writer like a schuck), but the rules are that any changes to the vehicle CAN affectyour ability to have the warranty pay for work done on a failed component that is a direct result of that modification. That also applies to any other components that fail"behind" it. With the financial trouble GM and most HUMMER dealerships are experiencing, warranty work is just one area that's being scrutinized more closely and no legitimate dealership wants to go toe to toe with their area GM service rep.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Schmuck

See the smilie....= joke....funny? [&o]

I treat everybody at any stealership the same: I know WTF I am talking about, and until they show me they do, they are all schmucks. In my many years on this planet I have delt with 100s of dealership employees, and like any occupation, some of them are great hard working customer service oriented people, some are terds that can use a smack down. I have never been denied a warranty claim either?

I have some ridiculous true specific examples to share, but I will not bore you guys or jack this thread.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Schmuck

See the smilie....= joke....funny? [&o]

I treat everybody at any stealership the same: I know WTF I am talking about, and until they show me they do, they are all schmucks. In my many years on this planet I have delt with 100s of dealership employees, and like any occupation, some of them are great hard working customer service oriented people, some are terds that can use a smack down. I have never been denied a warranty claim either?

I have some ridiculous true specific examples to share, but I will not bore you guys or jack this thread.
I guess he didn't see your tongue was in your cheek Doc! You smuck!

Quick Reply: Warranty Question