PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations effect on vehicle sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Default Vibrations effect on vehicle sensors

While driving today, multiple warning messeges began display. traction failure, Stability control failure and reduced power followed by service etc. All of this occured for what seemed to be no reason. I pulled off the highway and shut the vehicle off and waited for about 5 minutes then restarted. Everythig was back to normal. I drove apporoximatley 60 more miles after the incident with no problems.

The only thing out of the ordinary was it happened after a stretch of road that is under construction and one lane has grooved rumble strips that are pretty gnarly. They are about every 50 feet and last for about 10 miles. I was wondering if that type of violent(relative) continued vibration for an extended period could trick the system into recognizing it as a possible problem. Any opinions?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 AM

Use the search feature within the H3 section...

The deadly trifecta is what you got... time to take her into the stealership... there have been multiple causes for those warnings, mine was associated with a speed sensor on the gas pedal... had fancier name when the dealership told me lol... and **** poor GM battery terminals have also been the culprit for some...

Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanks Dagkana. I'm gonna double check cables and other easy stuff but after readin a bit i am gonna take it in for sure. Thankfully its at 45K so it should be covered.

Tainter - if you happen to see this, what dealership do you use? We are in the same vicinity.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Quick update: it is aty the dealer now. I will say i'm not having a real positive feeling that this will be taken care of in 1 visit but i will keep my fingers crossed. The guy I dealt with at the service desk did everything he could to give the impression that I would be responsible for transportation while the vehicle was in the shop but instead of losing it on the guy, I held firm and dropped a few lines to let him know I was well aware of what the warranty covered, so they did rent me a Suburban while it is being fixed.
This morning before taking it to the dealer I tried the recommended "50 cycles" through the 4wd buttons and on 49 it quit cycling lol. Turned off the engine and restarted and everything went back to normal. Also having them do the hood louver recall as well as reattaching the molding along the top of the roof on both sides which I noticed is as wavy as David Hasselhofs locks.
I will post the outcome.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Picked up the vehicle this morning. They fixed 3 out of 4. Traction control/stability control failure was attributed to a faulty accelerator pedal.
The one thing that we disagreed about is the moldings on the roof. They assert that the moldings are tight and its normal for them not to be tightly adhered to the roof. I disagree and more than likely will take it to another dealer and demonstrate how both sides allow water to drip down through the pillars. Seems I read something on here about recall notices for those toip moldings so I'll be searching the site for some info on that.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM

I actually might tend to agree w/ the dealer if not for the leaking pilars... Mine have never been that flush from day one...

Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM

So probably un-related to being at the dealership but everything seemed fine until i tried to pull into a parking space and its "crow-hopping" badly now. You can actually feel the steering wheel jerk. Reason #947 why I hate to let others work on anything I own.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh and the new accelerator pedal..... 100% plastic top to bottom, pedal, arm everything. Maybe the feather touch I'll have to use with that will improve my gas mileage.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
So probably un-related to being at the dealership but everything seemed fine until i tried to pull into a parking space and its "crow-hopping" badly now. You can actually feel the steering wheel jerk. Reason #947 why I hate to let others work on anything I own.
Make sure you are not in HI Lock.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 AM

Yeah the first thing i did when i noticed it was cycle through the buttons to make sure it wasn't hung up in 4 lock. I also drove it around a bit in both directions going both forwrd and backward to see if it was limited to one direction but it was not.
Maye I'm just hyper-sensitive because it was at the dealer and this happens with everyones H3 when turned sharp although I don't recall it before. And maybe I'm making too much out of the plastic assembly they put on but its damn HUMMER. I would expect a plastic piece maybe if the motto wasn't "Like Nothing Else." Any other thoughts or input on this? Maybe I should consider my planned upgrade to an Alpha sooner rather than later