PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? vibrations after leveling H3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Default ? vibrations after leveling H3 ?

i am getting vibrations in the floor under my feet (driver side) after i leveled my h3. i got it alligned, i had them check the balance on that front driver tire. its almost like pulsating vibrations. any ideas??? -thanks!!!

2007 H3
50,000 miles
readylift leveling kit

Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Check your tires for "cupping". My wife's H3 looks like the front tires are doing it also. (no leveling here) That is when the tread gets a "ramped" look to either the inside or outside of the tire. This can cause the vibrations you feel.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 AM

thanks for responding. what causes cupping?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Cupping is caused by failure to rotate your tires enough, and can also be caused by allignment issues. Rotate your tires every other oil change and they will last a good long while. If you have been rotating the tires regularly, have the allignment checked if your tires show uneven ware.

Now to the "levelling" you did. What is your ride height from the center of the front hub to your fender? If you have more than 24", you will have issues, such as:
bouncy front end; squirly steering; wandering while driving the highway, like when your truck wants to follow lines in the pavement surfaces, etc.

Theoretically you can go up to 24.5", but I would stay at 24" max. I've had mine around 23.6" and no problems at all in well over 20K miles.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM

the front end was bouncy at first so i lowered it a little. thats good now. steering is ok. wandering is ok. had it alligned. all is good except that pulsating vibration coming though the floor board. ill re measure when i get home. but i did try to stay true to the 24 inch rule. i have fender flairs (from the championship edition) so its hard to measure. i can only go by the center hub to flair measurement. but the truck is perfectly equal front to back.
would the front lift cause vibrations from putting the front 4x4 system out of wack?
u's or things tweaked after lift?
sorry i dont know all the technical specifics, but it feels like the front 4x4 system is out of line or straining or something???
i hope it is a simple as the tires.
should i lower the front half an inch?
then id need another allignment right?
??? -THANKS!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 AM

It wouldn't hurt to try lowering, just to see what would happen. How many miles are on your tires? and what size tire are do you have?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM

50,000 miles on tires. still check out ok at inspections. 32'' original tires.
if i lower it a half inch , would i need to reallign again?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 PM

WOW, 50K miles on the tires. That alone will make me think it's the tires. Yes, putting the front end up will cause some strain on the CV jts up there. They are made to be run at a certain angle, and when the TT (torsion twist) is done, they sometimes are taken out of their "comfort zone". I've done the TT on my Sport Trac and have noticed some strain on my front CV's. Not that I care because it has almost 95K miles on the vehicle, and if it goes, I'll just replace it. I like the "raked" look of the H3. So I have no plans on doing the TT. Put it in "True 4x4" (push button on dash 4 High) and see if it's worse then. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM

I have an 06 H3 that I just put 315/75r/16's on with a leveling kit. Love the look. But I also have noticed a slight pulsing vibration in the driver floorboard since I have done this. The tires only have 160 miles on them, brand new, all balanced and aligned. I have the cert paperwork on it. I put Cooper STT's on all four corners. The vibrating is a very slow pulsing that comes for about 2 secs and gone for 2 secs. Very strange. Any more suggestions. Its not the tires in my case! Trying to figure out how to add pics.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 AM

that sounds like what mine is doing. coming and going every second or two. ...
the only thing i can relate it to is when i had a grand cherokee that got a flat and i put the wrong size spare on by mistake and it messed with the all time 4x4 because all 4 tires wernt matched. ???

Quick Reply: ? vibrations after leveling H3 ?