PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicles with computer driven electronics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Default Vehicles with computer driven electronics

I've been reading about the problems Toyota is having with drive-by-wire electronics and was wondering if American vehicles like the HUMMER are subject to this type of issue. I've not heard any such complaint about electronics in the American cars other than some Fords like the Fusion.

First question I have specifically regarding the H2 (2008) : In the event of unintended acceleration, can the ignition key be turned off or the transmission placed in neutral to avert a mishap?

Second question regarding the H2: Are the size of the stock tires a disadvantage on slippery surfaces. I realize that 4WD is not 4wheel brake. But I have found that regardless how slow I go on a slippery surface, the H2 just sails along. Sure, the ABS is pumping like heck, but it just doesn't want to stop. It's happened so many times already that I cringe when I see ice or a thin layer of snow. I just don't remember slipping and sliding that much with the econ-o -boxes I used to commute in. Any thoughts.

John

Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Can't definitively answer your drive by wire questions. On your traction issue, what kind of tires are you running? That makes more difference in my opinion than the size.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Default Computer driven electronics

I have the stock BFG tires that come with the adventure package. I do live in an area that is terribly hilly and, more than likely, other vehicles would probably be slipping also. I was just wondering if an AWD had different stopping characteristics than a one-wheel-drive car.

BTW, I see by your handle that you have an H3. Do the H3s have a speed limiter on them. I think the computer in my H2 limits the speed to 100mph.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned
Default a lot goin on!

it would be ez to say that after going to hydraulics about 100 years ago the're all the same but not so. if you shift to neutral which i did with rear drive, then all4 wheels get much the same braking. its mostly the tires after that.
add abs and it gets better.

but if not shifted to neutral the moment you lift off the gas there is drag on the driving wheels as the car is pushing the wheels and as brakes are softly applied the engine is still putting power to the drive wheels and then in rear drive the tires may spin while the front locks up and you fishtail. thats why i shift to neut
. you can see this if you are on a lift, all wheels off ground and lightly put on brakes on 2 wheel dr the drive wheels keep going as the others stop.

same with front drive, the back wheels can lock first while the front get engine power. similiar mess!

so with all wheel drive, lift off gas and all wheels drag ?? until shift neut, OR abs takes care of it.

i think smaller tires bite snow better and big tires grab bare road. i had big g60/l60's on a big ford van and it really looked sharp, the kids called it the "attack machine", big,wide tires. they were like 4 snow boards in winter and i couldnt drive it!!,, completly out of control till i put snows on back and smaller rubber up front.

so i take nothing for granted and even with my "real h3 attack machine", i am super careful, not a hot shot hero,,,in the ditch!!! i know my wranglers dont pull to good in snow so i dont expect them to stop to good either.
i want a better set, more grab

tom

Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Huge fan of Blizzaks here. If you want the best possible option for winter, I don't think you can go wrong with them.