PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Two options

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Default Two options

I am a newbie to Hummers but I think I have finally found two I am interested in. I would like to throw out the pro and cons of each and get some feed back

1997 wagon
Pros:
- low miles
- CTIS
- Lower gear ratio

Con:
- GM produced 6.5 turbo diesel

2001 open top
-Updated Engine by International
-open top (really cool)

Cons:
- No CITS!!!!!!!!!
- several thousand more dollars
- double the mileage of the 1997

Thoughts? This truck would be used for lots and lots of winter driving in rural Ohio and some summer woods trips, but doubtful that it would ever see hard off roading like Moab or something. I love the thought of having the CITS but the 8# cylinder problems in the older motors scares me or for the price I would snap it up in a heartbeat, even though the open top is cooler.

Any way to convert a truck to CITS?

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

jason humble

Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't know they made a non-CTIS truck in 2001, unless it was a fleet truck and is maybe an old Border Patrol truck. Non CTIS trucks bring less that CTIS trucks do and are generally harder to sell.
You can always have Lynch or Tustin run the VIN on the 97 and see if the block was replaced. 97s also had the older style HVAC units so check to see if that was updated. If you are up north it isn't as big a deal. You don't say what the miles/prices are on each. That would help us evaluate the deals. Wagons normally bring a premium over open tops. Do you carry valuables, guns, etc in your vehicle? An open top is a rear window zipper away from being unsecured. Condition is more important than mileage.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks 3Hummers, your reply has been helpful. I should have noted that the 97 is a 97.5 with the updated HVAC. Rookie mistake. Your reply also brings into question an assumption I was making, and that is, that the optional forged spoke style wheels means the truck doesnt have CTIS. I assumed since they were different looking (then the 97, but common for other 2001s) that they did not have CTIS.

Prices and mileage are as follows:

97.5 Wagon: 50,000 miles $30,000

2001 Open Top 86,000 miles 37,000

I do not keep firearms or valuables in my vehicles so I don't think security will be an issue. From experience, how versatile is the wagon? Can I hall lumber, groceries, ect....

replacement 6.5s seem to be going for between 13-16 thousand which is way too rich for my blood.

jason humble

Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds way too expensive for a 6.5 replacement but that may be the best price in your area. You can actually get more into a wagon than an OT. The cargo divider slides out on a wagon but not the OT. Prices are ok on both, maybe a little better for the 97.5 than the 2001 depending on condition of each. Are both current on maintenance?
The 8 spoke one piece Hutchinson aluminum wheels are concealed CTIS wheels. The CTIS valve/quick disconnect is behind the center cap. If the 97.5 has the steel wheels those are 16.5 inch wheels. The tire selection for those is pretty limited with the most common tire being the Goodyear MT. Decent tire but not super street friendly.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

My 97 has 75,000 miles on it and is on the original motor. Almost all of the #8 cylinder issues occurred before and were replaced before 30,000 miles. There have been some that developed the issue well after that but at 50,000 miles the 97.5 is well past the line where most had blown. I drive my 97 up into the mountains regularly, to Moab and back several times a year have no issues at all. I just watch the temps and slow down enough to keep them in a real comfortable range.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Both are what the dealers claim to be up on maintenance. The 97.5 has no front end play, ball joints look good, brakes seem good but may need rotors from sitting so long, oil clear and well colored, don't think the radiator has ever been flushed, the coolant looks dark. No white smoke but it has been warm here in the mornings so I can't trust it to show signs of a crack.

Thanks for the real world advice 3hummers. I have the vin, so I will see if I can get it checked. I doubt it has been replaced. It just seems more likely that the truck has sat rather neglected simply from lack of use.

Jason