PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Default Transmission slipping

Hello -
I did some searching first but never really thought I found 'my' issue.

2010 H3 - 68,000 miles - 5cyl

I was 4 hours into a 6 hour trip. We stopped to get a drink, came back out and got back on the road. When I would start out everything seemed fine until about 3,000rpm. You could feel the tranny not 'catch' and the rpm would rev up. Then it would go.

Got home and let it cool down for a few hours and it was fine. I still took it to the garage but they said they didn't see any codes and no CEL came on. I still had them replace the trans fluid.

Now maybe I'm paranoid, but it every once in awhile when I'm going around a right hand turn it feels like it slips and the rmps rev up.

I really like my H3 but it seems like everytime I go on a 3+ hour trip in it something goes wrong - wipers go out, tire pressure light and so on. Now this.

Any ideas?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Your still have plenty left on your powertrain warranty. Maybe a trip to the Dealer is in order. Make sure you can replicate the problem...they normally can't.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Your still have plenty left on your powertrain warranty. Maybe a trip to the Dealer is in order. Make sure you can replicate the problem...they normally can't.

Thank you for the quick response. You are correct, I didn't realize that I still had that much left on the PT warranty. I called them, but it was as you said, "Unless you can replicate the issue, you will get charged."

I guess I'm going to have to trade it in.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM

my transmission was slipping too with my '06 H3 and it turned out to be a leaky transmission cooling line.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Could be the torque converter slipping. Depends on type of fluid that has been run in there if the surface material has been scorched it will only get worse.
You should have had them save some of the old fluid to be inspected or analysed for contaminants from the surface material or metal flakes from other components.
There could be a computer glitch not properly controlling shift points or not enough positive shift pressure.
They should check all that.
Trading it in for a slipping tranny is a bit drastic, especially with warranty left.

Last edited by Hunner; 10-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by onerobertone
2010 H3 - 68,000 miles - 5cyl

...when I'm going around a right hand turn it feels like it slips and the rmps rev up.

Any ideas?
My '09 H3 Alpha does the same thing. I have had it into the dealer multiple times. They even went as far as to rebuild the tranny. I even paid to have my transmission serviced.

But to this day, if I make a typical right turn, or slow down to go over a road hump, when pressing back on the accelerator, the transmission feels "lost"; the engine revs up, but no power is being delivered for a few seconds.

My '07 H3 5-cylinder did not do this.

It makes for a disturbing driving experience, like the transmissionis going out. Will be making another appointment with the dealer soon.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spuds
My '09 H3 Alpha does the same thing. I have had it into the dealer multiple times. They even went as far as to rebuild the tranny. I even paid to have my transmission serviced.

But to this day, if I make a typical right turn, or slow down to go over a road hump, when pressing back on the accelerator, the transmission feels "lost"; the engine revs up, but no power is being delivered for a few seconds.

My '07 H3 5-cylinder did not do this.

It makes for a disturbing driving experience, like the transmissionis going out. Will be making another appointment with the dealer soon.
My 10 Alpha/Offroad does the same thing on speed bumps and slow turns when reapplying the accelerator quickly. Had the dealer check it and of course they can find nothing wrong and I have been very pleased with thier service. I think it is a programming thing. Describing it as the transmission feels "lost" is a good description. That is why I think it is a communiction glitch in programming between the engine and transmission. I don't think my transmission is slipping. I just delay reaccelerating and try not to worry about it. It's good to know that someone elses Alpha does it. It makes me feel more confident that it is a programming thing.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM

Can someone help. My check engine light came on and had it put on computer and man stated that is said that transmission is slipping. Well, haven't noticed transmission slipping. Man stated it could be one of the transmission sensors loose causing it. Can someone tell me which sensor would it most likely be and were is it located?

Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Dummy
Can someone help. My check engine light came on and had it put on computer and man stated that is said that transmission is slipping. Well, haven't noticed transmission slipping. Man stated it could be one of the transmission sensors loose causing it. Can someone tell me which sensor would it most likely be and were is it located?
Nice, another almost 3 year old thread dug up. You might want to avoid that.

When you ask a question, mileage might be an important tid bit of information. Saying there was a code without providing what the code actually was is no help.

Every mile you drive places wear on the transmission, your driving style, how much towing, road and weather conditions, how often and when the last trans fluid change was done, all are factors which will eventually lead to transmission work being needed.