PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid change with some pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
very good info on using the tubing to drain the tranny till it sputtered. empty I assume.

do you think that is about the same as dropping the pan and running for a brief time to empty the tranny?
I am real curious just what could get hurt by a brief run when empty,not someones guessing but actual facts from someone who really knows tranny s.
I ran it out the hose until I saw sputtering, then dropping the pan is very easy and you don't spill fluid all over, clan and refill with new oil,
Now when you start it up and pour in the half a dozen quarts until it runs clean, what you are doing is the tranny pumps the new clean fluid in through the pump and through the torque converter (where the dirty oil sits when the pan is off) once you see clean oil coming out the hose into the bucket all the fluid has been exchanged.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Just talked to my hummer tech at the G.M. dealership. He said no way he would ever flush a transmission by letting it run out until it sputters. That is not the proper way to do it. Like I said, to flush it properly you have a flow and a return. In the service manual it just gives instructions on changing the fluid and filter, not how to flush it, but it won't let me copy and paste it here.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
Just talked to my hummer tech at the G.M. dealership. He said no way he would ever flush a transmission by letting it run out until it sputters. That is not the proper way to do it. Like I said, to flush it properly you have a flow and a return. In the service manual it just gives instructions on changing the fluid and filter, not how to flush it, but it won't let me copy and paste it here.
Oh well we learn something new everyday Thanks,

But It worked fine for me...... Just saying.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Yes, you can do it. I'm not saying you can't. It is just not a recommended procedure, and it does not properly flush out the system because it is not pressurized doing it that way.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
just don't forget that many transmission shops recommend a power flush of the transmission. I'll let everyone hash out the pro's and con's of that one.
Been there done that with my Expedition when I was nieve.... $2500.00 later for tranny rebuild.... Never again...