PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transmission/Clutch problem (will this ever end)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default Transmission/Clutch problem (will this ever end)

OK Ladies and Gentlemen. I have discovered yet ANOTHER problem I keep forgetting to post about. It's been happening for weeks and stupid me forgot to tell the service department about it on my last visit.

WhenI reverse out of my garage, sometimes I take it out of gear after the initial thrust of power, and as it's rolling backwards down the driveway, and I try to shift back into reverse, the gears grind. The clutch doesn't dis-engage the rear gear. I literally can't shift back into reverse, even with the clutch pressed all the way to the floor, until I bring the H3 to a complete stop.

I have driven stick my entire life, and had ONE car with this problem (the Camaro) which turned out to be bad synchros.

My question is, should I or should I not be able to shift back into Reverse while the vehicle is moving backwards from Neutral on a manual transmision vehicle? On my other cars, i was always able to. On this one, I can't. It's like the clutch is fully engaged when trying to shift into reverse while it's moving. Doesn't seem to work at all. Is it just me?

Maybe this also has something to do with my jerking problem.

It NEVER happens while moving forward, downshifting or upshifting in traffic, etc, only in reverse.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Transmission/Clutch problem (will this ever end)

This is normal. Do not ever try to shift into reverse while you are moving. This is to protect your tranny. It shouldn't grind though unless your really trying to jam it in gear?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I'm not jamming it in there, just trying to shift back into reverse casually like I do when I shift when it's stopped. Are different manual transmissions different in every car? As I said, I was able to do it in my other cars. It was a problem in my 95 Camaro that they actually fixed under warranty.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM

I was told this is to protect your transmission. Many people that drive a manual shift into 1st as they are still moving in reverse. The weight of your hummer would tear the transmission up or you would burn the clutch fasterbecause you would be hitting gas and riding clutch. Im no expert. It shouldnt grind at all. Obviously take it to the dealer.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:01 PM

Mike, I'll save you the trip out here... "we could not duplicate the problem".

Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

LOL.

NO You misunderstood me! I'm trying to shift it BACK into REVERSE, NOT into 1rst gear as I'm moving in reverse. I know that, give me a little credit .

I'm saying I'm already going in reverse and I'm out of gear, and as I'm rolling back down, I try to shift it back into reverse again as it's already rolling in reverse.

Thanks Mike. You'll make a GREAT Service Rep [:@]

Old 02-09-2007, 06:09 PM

DUH!!!! Reverse gear is NON-Synchromeshed. It is a straight cut gear. The grinding is completely normal. Very few manual transmissions have synchroed reverse gears. The output shaft is still spinning because the vehicle is in motion. The reverse gear is stationary because the clutch is not engaged...hence the grinding.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:12 PM

I know. Just saying thats what alot of people do, shift into 1st while still moving in reverse. Thats why its made that way. Shouldnt be able to shift into any gear while its moving in reverse. Guy that told me this could be full of poo though.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM

yea listen to brachililiiuis

Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM

You can shift into a forward gear while drifting in reverse. However, it is TERRIBLE on the synchros. The tail shaft is spinning in reverse. While shifting into a forward gear, the synchros have to create friction and get the input shaft to also spin in reverse. I would not reccomend doing it because a tranny rebuild will be required sooner as the synchros will wear to a point that the tranny will grind shifting between all forward gears.

Quick Reply: Transmission/Clutch problem (will this ever end)