PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tranny fluid coming from vent tube!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Exclamation Tranny fluid coming from vent tube!?

I have a 07 H3 & just recently had the 3-2 shift solenoid go bad & also had tranny coming from bell housing, took it to a highly recomended transmission shop in town & he ended up rebuilding the tranny. An hour or so after I picked it up my check engine light came on, had it read & it was P0741 (torque converter, clutch solenoid, circuit performance or stuck off) a few hours later the light went off. 3 days later (saturday) the engine light came back on, had it read & it was some code P0741. After pulling up at a friends hpuse i noticed something dripping from the bottom of my truck & it was tranny fluid. After looking real good I found that it was coming from the balck vent hose that runs on top of tranny, the first time it did it, it was a pretty good bit of fluid. I cleaned all of it up & drove it home later that day. When I got home I checked under my truck again & it didnt have fluid under it anywhere so i thought that maybe they overfilled the tranny & it just overflowed with it got hot but yesterday when I drove it i noticed some more fluid coming from the vent hose, a lot less that the first time though. Im going to call the shop where i had it rebuilt at tomorrow but i was just wondering if anybody might know my problem or have had the same problem before the tranny shop tries to say its something different & get me for more money, they already got $1800 last week. Any info would be great, Thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

ive read here that the radiator heat exchanger/tranny cooler leaks water into tranny,destroying it so check water like the tranny shop should have,,,QUICKLY!!
when it gets hot it expands water,,,pressure could be in tranny

Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Does the truck go into full lock up at 45MPH + ? Did you scan for code before the rebuild?

Fluid from the vent hose is almost always heat related unless there was a simple overfill.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Not once in the statement above did you say you checked the trans fluid level? Even after you spewed "a pretty good bit of fluid". It may be as easy as popping the hood and checking the fluid level.

I know that would be the FIRST thing I would do when I received any vehicle back from a trans repair shop (same goes for oil changes too!). Also the FIRST thing I would do after I found a puddle of trans fluid under any vehicle, CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM

The only code I had before the rebuild was P0788 (3-2 Shift Solenoid) & I did check the tranny fluid right after I noticed it the first time & it was about mid ways between the low/hi mark of the full section of the dipstick.. As far as lockup, what exactly would I look for im not %100 sure what that is.. I havent checked my antifreeze cold but the reservoir did have antufreeze in it when I was checkin tranny fluid..

Old 08-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

the coolant should look clean,no oil floating on it. i mentioned that first because if it was the problem it is urgent. if not,hope not,then it was overfull or?

what i dont know is ,at what level it would stop overflowing,IF it were overfilled.
it would upchuck till it couldnt reach but would it still be high on the stick?, i would think so.
i would really watch the level on the dipstick,and the coolant appearance.

not a xpert,,never had the problem,,,thinking out loud! for sure ,if it upchucks, something wrong,,,

Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 PM

OK, so you did check the fluid level. That's good. Now that you know it is not over filled there is Definitly a problem with pressure. They may have done many little things wrong like check ***** in the wrong passage to incorrect pressure springs to just not knowing what they are doing. Take it back and demand a complete rebuild and a new warranty!