PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOYO M/T or Cooper STT ? (importkiller plz)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Default RE: TOYO M/T or Cooper STT ? (importkiller plz)

They will fit on the stock wheel but not properly. The problem is that the width of the stock wheel does not allow the tire to spread out like it would on say an 8 1/2" wheel.... the measuring width of the wheel on MT's website. A tire's dimensions and effectiveness is directly related to the fitment on the wheel. Granted, 1/2" is not a dramatic difference in width, and the tire will technically mount fine on the stock wheel. However, the narrowness of the stock wheel can cause the tire to be "pinched" on the wheel and can cause premature wear in the center of the tire. I know plenty of people probably have done this and seemingly have seen no ill-effects from it. I am just pointing out a "possible" concern that you might want to be aware of. Hope this helps...

Chris

Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: H3Tiger

They will fit on the stock wheel but not properly. The problem is that the width of the stock wheel does not allow the tire to spread out like it would on say an 8 1/2" wheel.... the measuring width of the wheel on MT's website. A tire's dimensions and effectiveness is directly related to the fitment on the wheel. Granted, 1/2" is not a dramatic difference in width, and the tire will technically mount fine on the stock wheel. However, the narrowness of the stock wheel can cause the tire to be "pinched" on the wheel and can cause premature wear in the center of the tire. I know plenty of people probably have done this and seemingly have seen no ill-effects from it. I am just pointing out a "possible" concern that you might want to be aware of. Hope this helps...

Chris
It definitely clarifies things for me...thanks again

Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 AM

FYI - The Cooper SST's and the Mickey Thompson MTZ are both manufactured by Cooper Tire at the same plant in Albany, GA. They use the same molding technology and are very simular tires.

Pro's and Con's:

Cooper's (including the MTZ) are lighter and generally softer, flex better when aired down and weight less.

The Toyo's are quieter, heavier, tougher, and balance better than any MT tire you'll likely run across.

They are within $25 of each other, depending on where you buy them, which is not enough for me to decide chiefly on price.

If you plan on running lots of smooth rocks and don't care about noise or gas mileage, the Cooper line may be a better bet. If you drive a semi-street queen or indulge in more well rounded off-roading, then the Toyo is a better overall tire.

Tires are like shoes, wear what you like, because if they don't feel right after you get them broke in, you'll get a chance to buy some more pretty soon.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 AM

JustHummin - Thanks for weighing in on this

Old 04-03-2007, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: JustHummin

FYI - The Cooper SST's and the Mickey Thompson MTZ are both manufactured by Cooper Tire at the same plant in Albany, GA. They use the same molding technology and are very simular tires.

Pro's and Con's:

Cooper's (including the MTZ) are lighter and generally softer, flex better when aired down and weight less.

The Toyo's are quieter, heavier, tougher, and balance better than any MT tire you'll likely run across.

They are within $25 of each other, depending on where you buy them, which is not enough for me to decide chiefly on price.

If you plan on running lots of smooth rocks and don't care about noise or gas mileage, the Cooper line may be a better bet. If you drive a semi-street queen or indulge in more well rounded off-roading, then the Toyo is a better overall tire.

Tires are like shoes, wear what you like, because if they don't feel right after you get them broke in, you'll get a chance to buy some more pretty soon.

toyo's quieter than mtz's.....THAT'S funny!!! And the MTZ's are far less than $25 each cheaper than the toyo's...you are shopping at the wrong stores

Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: importkillertoyo's quieter than mtz's.....THAT'S funny!!! And the MTZ's are far less than $25 each cheaper than the toyo's...you are shopping at the wrong stores
If you think the Mickey Thompson MTZ's are much if any better than the Copper SST's then you should call a Cooper Tire Rep. I've been to the Albany plant, but what would I know...

ORIGINAL: importkiller

Toyo's (if those are the only two options) I like the coopers too but they are LOUD...at least they are on a 2006 f-350. My friend has them on his ford and he likes them, they seemed to do ok in the mud and snow but if ya gotta pee the vibration from the tires at highway speed will push it right out of you
As far as pricing, yea, they might be a little more than $25 apart, but that was off the top of my head. I can also give you quotes from different places where they are only $10 apart.

for a 285/75/16 Toyo i can quote you a tire for $194.22 what's your best price on the same size MTZ?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 PM

who the hell would want wimpy 285's?!?!?! I'll stick with my 315's....thanks. Your funny....please stick around here I really couldn't care less what plant tour you have been on...do not impress me. I have personally owned or driven damn near every tire brand available in the usa, that is how I form my opinions, not from reading magazines or visiting a plant with my disposable camera In my personaly experiance the noise difference between the mtz and the cooper mt is night and day....look at the tread design, completely different lug pattern. I don't care if your Uncle Charlie made both of em...they are a different tire. Cooper rubber also owns pro-comp...are they the same tire too? BTW...I bought 4 315 MTZ for $880.....I highly doubt you canbeat that with toyos

Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM

who the hell would want wimpy 285's?!?!?! I'll stick with my 315's....thanks. Your funny....please stick around here I really couldn't care less what plant tour you have been on...do not impress me. I have personally owned or driven damn near every tire brand available in the usa, that is how I form my opinions, not from reading magazines or visiting a plant with my disposable camera In my personaly experiance the noise difference between the mtz and the cooper mt is night and day....look at the tread design, completely different lug pattern. I don't care if your Uncle Charlie made both of em...they are a different tire. Cooper rubber also owns pro-comp...are they the same tire too? BTW...I bought 4 315 MTZ for $880.....I highly doubt you canbeat that with toyos
How's this for a kick in the pants ImportKiller - You suggested that I call Jordan Tire, so I did- Trish quoted me 4 315 MTZ's for $845 shipped to NJ.....thanks for the hookup (and all of the advice)

Old 04-04-2007, 12:54 AM

Your welcome, Trish is an awesome woman to deal with. Mine was slightly higher cause I got the fastest shipping they could get......I am very impatient

You will love the mtz's!!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 AM

I bought 4 315 MTZ for $880.....I highly doubt you canbeat that with toyos
Toyo Open Country Mt 315/75/16 $204.55 ea X 4 = $818.20

Sorry I said anything...

Quick Reply: TOYO M/T or Cooper STT ? (importkiller plz)