PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Default Towing opinions needed

I searched the forum and looked over all the input from all yalls opinions. Import Killer seemed to know a lot on this subject and I have read what he has said. Very simply put, I am thinking of buying a 19 foot camper trailer that has an empty weight of 2240 pounds. I realize the towing capacity of my H3 is 4500 pounds. I have been told for a family of three that and average is around 2-3 hundred pounds of stuff/food per person. So that puts me say another 1000 pounds on the trailer for say a total of 3300 pounds. Any problems with that as I do plan on installing the electric brake also. I know it will pull it as getting it going from what I have read isnt the problem its handling and stopping. Any suggestions or what I should or should not do would be appreciated as I know nothing of this subject matter. Thank you in advance, Mike

Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Default RE: Towing opinions needed

Mike

I tow a 19' trailer that weighs 3600 lbs. I put very little inside and usually tow it with empty water tanks. Even though the rating is 4500 lbs, its best to stay as far under that limit as possible. I would not go any higher than the 3600+ that I tow.
That said, the H3 does a good job of towing. It is basically a brick towing an even larger brick, but I think it handles fine. I always drive in 3rd gear and just take it easy going up grades. I get 9 - 10 mpg while towing. For reference, I get 14 - 15 normally.
Electric brakes are a must and if you have the towing package, installation of the controller is easy. Invest in a good sway control hitch. You will need mirror extensions also if your trailer is full-sized.

Again be careful with the weight. If you can live without some stuff, don't bring it. It is "camping" afterall.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2169/E947F03E229B48DA95604EDD07B2B8EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

I normally throw everything I need to camp in the back of the Hummer...you must be hauling a ton of stuff

Old 05-06-2008, 06:49 PM

Another thought on the subject..

I've learned that you must go by the weight listed on your particular trailer. There is a sticker somewhere, usually inside a cabinet, that has your actual weight listed. Weights shown on a brochure or website will not include the options you may have. That is, awnings, batteries, air conditioning and so on. Those options can add up to a lot of weight. I even heard of folks taking their trailer to a public scale just to be sure. Also, where the weight is distributed can affect safety / performance. Too far back will actually lift the rear of your truck a little. Too far forward will overload the hitch.

Did I mention that weight is important?

Good luck with your trailer

Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM

I would be wear of towing a 19ft. Camper with an H3. I would no Doubt agree with SarGuy 33 on his theory of the weight. Keep in mind this will be hard on your Transmission as well. I would make sure you get a weight distribution hitch and load all possible gear in the trailer as opposed the the truck. You will be amased how fast your payload capacity can be used up with people weight, gas and tounge weight. Looks like the Maximum Payload of the H3 is 1150lbs. So lets say your 3 people 450lbs total. That only leaves you with 700lbs remaining. Find out what the Tounge weight of the trialer is. I would bet your pushing your limits especially if you are towing in hilly terrain.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 AM

Thank you Sar Guy 33 and Hummin N Boatin. The trailer is 19 feet with a weight of 2240 pounds so you can Sar Guy that I am a good 1000 pound under you already. I have been told about the water and two other tanks to tow them dry. Hummin N Boatin I was getting the electric brake and another dealer had said I should invest in what you said about the weight distribution hitch. One said I didnt need it at all as 2240 pounds is very very easy? So thank you very much to you two for the advice as I really do not know anything about this. I think my goal of a trailer no more than 2800 pounds is doable and that is my goal. I also realize I wont pack a thousand pounds in it too.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 PM

I am surprised we don't have any Alpha owners chiming in. I have an Alpha and would love to know what kind of trailer to buy...

Always riding on the shirttails of others. :-)

Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to these forums but I have been reading all morning so thanks for the education. Going to be cranking some torsion bars and adding bigger tires. I tow a 21ft Sea Ray Sport boat about 20 or so miles to the lake. The boat is 3500lbs dry, with fuel, equipment, and people I'm close to that limit of 4500lbs. The trailer tracks fine, my I5 does well but I have to say that the tranny hunts a little in some of the hills. (yeah, Vegas has a couple hills) I'm in no hurry when on my way to the lake so I don't push too hard. On the freeway 65-70 is not a problem where it's flat. I hope this helps a little. I remember a nifty device my father had, not sure if they still make it, but they were anti-sway bars that extended from the trailer to a special reciever hitch ball mount on the vehicle. This stopped the infamous trailer/vehicle dip and it handled very very well.

Thanks again for a great forum!!! Going back to my research now.

-Chad

Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Chad have you tried looking at the RV superstores for the antisway bars?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 AM

Just a little update as I appreciate all those who helped and gave me a response! I purchased a 20 foot camping trailer from Macon Ga this weekend. It weighed in around 2300 pounds empty. I had probably around 2600 total weight in the back with stuff I took etc. I had many people tell me you wont even know its back there. Well that isnt entirely true. You could feel it back there. You could feel it bounce a tad on bumps and shake with wind etc.This was minimal but you can feel it. I had no problems what so ever in feeling it pull it.I got all the way back to Eastern NC and actually had someone pull out on the highway and knew I was going to hit him. I layed on the brakes and got close but no problems. Did some good hills and good winds too. I pulled it using a dropped type hitch I got off the dealer with a standard ball. I didnt have time to hook up any electric brakes. So no problems to report. No problems pulling it, stopping it, and was glad I did it. Also I was surprised I averaged 13.9 miles per gallon towing it 520 miles back. Hopefully this will help someone on here! Also I am going to get the brake box hooked up todayafter almost hitting the fellow that pulled out. In my opinion it would help as you could feel stopping the extra 2600 pounds and its just a bit of extra protection.

Quick Reply: Towing opinions needed