PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with my H3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaker73
I've got the factory towing package and tow a 21' pontoon boat almost every weekend, it does fine, but wouldn't want to tow up a mountain. 07 I5 w/adventure package
does the factory towing package have a tow mode button? If I do tow a car and I dont have factory package, Do I have to keep it in 3? or leave in drive/ overdrive?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM

No button. Nothing to change. Just drive it normally. If you get into a situation where you need a different gear, just shift if down.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 PM

thanks for the help!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM

I pull my Jeep on a car hauler all the time.....no issue.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds like the perfect weight.....

or a couple jetskis.... or a couple Harleys....

Old 06-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by thedave8
did your H3 come with towing package and already have a hitch? I may move soon, but not sure if I can tow my wifes dodge caliber with my h3....mine doesn't have a hitch or anything.....trailer it or dolley wheels?
Originally when I bought it it didn't have the towing package. I asked the dealer if they can add it on. They said sure and quoted me a price of just under $900. For that money I thought I was getting the factory tow package. Silly me trusting the dealer.. I mean stealer. I ended up getting an aftermarket curt or something class 3 hitch that I could of paid a little over 100 bucks for and take 15 mins of my time to put on myself. Needless to say I was pissed. I already traded in my other car and needed something to get to work the next day. If I had some sort of transportation to fall back on then I wouldn't of taken delivery. That was the last time I did or will do any business with the Hummer stealership in New Canaan CT. I have to blame myself a little bit also for not ironing out the details with the dealer. I just assumed and we all know what happens when we assume.
So yeah, aftermarket hitch but has performed fine and has done an excessive amount of towng. Will probably get the factory hitch when I get an ARB rear bumper which I would like to do before next spring.
As for the trailer for hauling the car I used a dual axle car hauler from U-Haul. Dolley wheels were not an option for the thing I was towing:
Name:  Hummer-******.jpg
Views: 2759
Size:  50.9 KB
Truck pulled the fully loaded trailer fine. Trailer was a little front heavy but that was due to the ****** very short wheelbase. You can't tell in the pic, but there was a good 5' of room from behind the ****** rear tire to the end of the trailer bed. I would of benefitted from not having as much of a drop on the hitchball as I had but it worked fine just the same.
I kept it in 3 on local but once I got up to speed on the hwy I put it back to D, set the cruise and the tranny didn't need to switch gears at all. I would only need to shift down as needed if going up hills for any extended amount of time but that type of driving only happened locally. The hwy for me was pretty much level the whole way.