PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Towing with my 5spd h3

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Default Towing with my 5spd h3

Ok, I did a search for this thread before I began it and didn't find my answers so I am starting a new thread. Yes, I know, add to another thread is better but some of my questions don't lend themselves to any of the other 2 or 3 I saw.

I have the 3.7l 5spd h3 with adventure package. I really need to get a small flatbed to tow such things as lawn equipment, furniture, and some other stuff that just does not fit in the H3.

-Can anyone recommend a trailer for me?
-Can someone tell me why there is such a difference in towing capacity between the manual and auto?
-When I get a towing unit, does it give its towing weight? I assume its regular old weight is its towing weight, but I am not sure if they make some that have towing weights that are less or more than the actual weight of the unit.
-Is there any tolerance on the max tow weight in the owners manual? I know sometimes a manufacturer will go the way of safety and lower specs a little.
-Am I asking to many questions Dennis? hehe

Mainly I am looking for as light a weight towing bed, with some side railings, as I can get that is of good quality and that I can use tie down straps to do transports with. I have already towed a trencher for my irrigation system I installed and it had no trouble at all, but the towing unit and trencher were rented.

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Default RE: Towing with my 5spd h3

I would not exceed the max tow weight but I know manufactures will always err on the side of safety and state the max of anything is lower than the actual.

For example..at an old jobI was in charge of installing an overhead crane, once installed OSHA requires it to be load tested and certified. OSHA requires it to be load tested at 110% of the stated max weight, so a 10 ton crane would be load tested at 11 tons. Some companies will actually load test up to 120%.

I cant help ya with any of your other questions, I dont do much towing.