PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Towing with H2

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Default Towing with H2

Whats going on guys and girls ... Iv been towing a lot lately with my 04 H2... I switched the air ride out to coil springs.. with air bags inside the spring so I can level out truck with trailer... anything I should maybe do to help it out? run cooler? help with power ? any performance mods like heads, cam, intake ... any weak points on truck ? thanks!

Old 01-02-2016, 02:24 PM

wow ... not one reply... awesome forums ..

Old 01-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Forums work better when you post in the correct section.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:32 PM

I was going to say bypass the radiator tranny cooler, switch to Synthetic fluids, Cat back exhaust and a airdoc intake tube.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:43 PM

We tow with our '08 and actually got it specifically for towing our 4k lbs TT. We use to have a 7.3 diesel excursion for towing but the lack of gears in the tranny and off road capabilities pushed us toward the H2 and we don't regret it.

But we put in the larger tranny cooler (tru-cool i think) that is written up about in here. And we bypassed the radiator. That keeps the tranny nice and cool.

We also put airbags in our coils which works great. Everything about the H2 is an upgrade for towing over the excursion except for the mpg but give and take.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:32 AM
Default Towing

I have not had luck towing with my 03 H2. It has a Novi Paxton supercharger running 8 lbs boost with liquid intercooler and about 500 hp. I thought it would be ideal, but I rented a FEMA trailer once and towed it up into the mountains and it was probably too heavy. Basically this thing was a single wide trailer on wheels. It did the job, and we did go up to 8,000' but the transmission never felt the same after. Fast forward a few years and miles, I took over a BAja 192 Islander boat about 22 feet long, and towed it from Southern Colorado to FWB FL, and on that trip with 100,000 miles on the truck, the tow ruined the blower and the transmission. I rebuilt the blower, and now I am onto the transmission. It hunted in gears too much on the freeway, and that was with me keeping it manually in 3rd the whole time. I don't know what the fix is, but I am guessing maybe a non-blown H2 would be better for towing. Mine was just not right. I also had Corvette and Sonnax servo upgrades on the tranny. I am building a much tougher transmission, hopefully it will be firmer shifting. There are a lot of torquey cams out there for LS engines. Best of luck, d'Art

Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM

I have towed over 10000 lbs with my 08. Actual pulling power and maintaining speed up hills was fine. Only worry I had was fear of not being able to stop well enough and the tiny mirrors the H2 has.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:52 PM

I also towed a lot with my 04 Magnacharged H2 - a 23' boat in Arizona summers. It did fine. Just remember to disengage overdrive into a lower gear before the torque converter lock-up clutch disengages while in overdrive. Once the clutch disengages the torque converter starts making enough heat in low RPM overdrive to burn up any tranny. Problem is that RPM is too low to run enough coolant fluid through tranny in overdrive (since tranny oil pump is mounted directly on input shaft - more engine RPM is ne des for cooling)

Old 01-12-2016, 05:15 PM

that's what I was told.. to always use tow/haul mode when ever towing .... good info guys! anyone have problems with trans fluid being too cold ? winter time?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ON IT
that's what I was told.. to always use tow/haul mode when ever towing .... good info guys! anyone have problems with trans fluid being too cold ? winter time?
I was concerned about that too b/c I run the external cooler. I was on the freeway the other day when it was in the 20's and it wouldn't get above 110. Is that too cold?

Quick Reply: Towing with H2