PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with an H1????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Default Towing with an H1????

I am new to the forum and know you guys will give me the straight scoop. I am considering buying an H1. It has always been my dream vehicle, but I need it to tow. I am considering selling my truck and buying an H1 and a car. I would use the H1 for towing and playing. I tow a 5000 lb Ski boat to the river and 5000 lb toy hauler on occasion. Neither of them are regularly towed, and neither of them are towed real far. I know a hummer will tow it up a cliff, but how will it do on hills at highway speed? I am in the NW and there are hills/mtns.

The ones that are in my price point are between 1994 and 1999. That leaves me with the 6.5L with and without turbo. What are your thoughts on that? Is turbo a must?

Tell me if you think I am crazy or this is realistic. I see others towing with H1's.

Thanks for your help!!!

If you are on the west coast and selling your H1 for a good price hit me up.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

An H1 will tow 5000#s. H1s do tend to heat up when climbing hills. You may have to slow down and turn off the air while climbing long and/or steep grades.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Also the h1s are the worst at highway speeds. Theyre not made for highway driving and sometimes will get close to overheating on the highway. I had to run almost all water and no antifreeze when I took a trip to myrtle beach in my h1. Also a hood scoop would help alot. The reason it gets worse engine cooling as you go faster is that the grill on the hood that rams air onto the radiators actually starts have the air go over the hood at highway speeds and not into the grill as much the faster you go. If you buy a scoop to ram the air into there that would probably help a ton.

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H1_H...h1-per-345.htm

"Improve the cooling and looks of your H1 Hummer with Predator proven hood scoop. The scoop increases air flow through the cooling stack by 117% at 65mph! The front of the H1 can actually act as an air dam, forcing air up and over the upper hood grill. This has been proven with extensive wind tunnel testing. By catching the air before it passes up and over the upper grill will result in lower temperatures, improved performance and a more stable running vehicle. It also has side channels which allow excess airflow to escape through the sides of the scoop. This allows the scoop to become more effective by simulating a venturi style action which allows the air to travel smoothly into the scoop and through the cooling stack as apposed to disrupting the airflow making the scoop less effective. It comes in smoke see through finish. "

Last edited by pteam; 02-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:34 PM

I recently used my H1 with a turbo to pull my F150 quadcab, on a heavy duty flat deck car hauler. I pulled it about 600 KM. (400 Miles) it had no problems at all on the flat parts it kept 62mph no problem, however I had to climb one hill that was long and steep and it was the sadest 10 minutes of my life! I was down to a crawl with my foot to the floor and there was a brief moment where I thought i might not make it at all.

Also you need to make sure your trailer brakes are functioning properly because the H1 brakes are not up to the task.

So to summ up, I liked the way it pulled on the flats but not the hills and passing would be nearly impossible.

Its still the best vehicle I have ever owned!

Brent