PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TomTom GPS - Anybody have one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default TomTom GPS - Anybody have one?

My sister-in-law has a Tom Tom (I don't know the model number yet) that she wants to sell. I'm just wondering if anybody has one, and if so, what your experiences are? I would not buy one unless it has a memory card slow and/or the ability to download custom routes and maps to the device via USB. Let me know. It would be a welcome replacement to my bulky laptop setup, and I would probably take all of it out of the H3. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Default RE: TomTom GPS - Anybody have one?

I wasn't too impressed with the one I demoed to be quite honest. I was all hot and heavy over em until I actually got some one on one time with one and I was pretty disappointed to be quite honest. If I go with the dedicated GPS device I'll stick with what I know, Garmin ... too bad you can't get a G1000 adapted to cars/trucks, would be a pretty bad a$$ setup and tie inmy upcoming car pc too:-)

Old 02-28-2007, 01:45 PM

I got a 910 for Christmas and love it. it has a 20 gig hard drive and is VERY customizable. There are a few really good web sites that have tons of POA's We just moved to Cheyenne WY and have used it may times. So far all the address I have entered are right on. I also check some old logging trails in western MA from my home area and they were also on the map.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

This one is the GO 300 she wants to sell me. I'm looking up the info now but it looks like it has a SD card slot on the front. This would be alot nicer then having all my laptop crap in there, plus I can use my hardwire i ran for the laptop power adapter and just snip the wire and probably install it right on the steering column. HHHmmmmmm

Old 02-28-2007, 03:54 PM

I believe your new name should be "Mister Gadget"

Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 AM

Get a Garmin 2720..has a preloaded harddrive and room for future updates..WAAS compatible

Ebay has tons of them

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

I used the GO 300 this morning and it's pretty damn awsome. It's ultra-fast as far as updating is concerned, get's a full signal even deep inside the car, has loads of features on it, and is easy to use and very intuitive. I'm definitely keeping this. For $175 I can't go wrong, plus I can always add a larger SD card once I get the mapping software. I'm still going to keep the laptop connections wired just in case I need to look up detailed information or need to hop on the internet for something while on a road trip, but I don't think I'll be using it for navigation anymore. I didn't realize these little things did so much and were so easy to use. I'm impressed. The sound quality is also incredible. It has a omni-directional speaker in the rear, so the quality is excellent, and so is the volume. My sis-in-law paid $600 for this when it came out and it still retails for $400, but you can buy a refurbed unit for $240 on eBay.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Sounds like a deal to me! Also, I for one will be happy when you get the laptop off your dash. I know it works great, and is a neat mod, but I am concerned every time I see pics of you dash as I know the reduced visibility is dangerous. The smaller GPS may allow you a better mount position and get back some visibility. I say, go for it!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

I like ya kid, I really do (like I'm that old) but I have said 1348959884984 times, I DO NOT drive with it open lol

I only use it when I'm stopped to see where I'm at, and the rest is voice navigation. I'm not dumb enough to drive with that thing open, believe me

Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Glad to hear it, and good luck with the new GPS if you get it.

Karl