PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire shop scuffed my powder coated wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
That's great. You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I haven't used any of the touch up kits yet.
this is probably the one remaining thing I'll be worried about... I've never used any of those automotive touch up kits either. But, since the color will be an exact match, I guess it should be virtually unnoticeable, no matter how well my application goes

Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM

I had a similar situation with black wheels on my corvette. chevy dealer left a scuff around the perimater where they obviously used a tool. they immediately fixed the damage and were embarrassed.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Ordered the touch up kit with the powder coater; I was painting the hubs last night and discovered the tire shop left a long abrasion line on the inside of the wheel. Guess I'll be touching up the insides as well...sigh. This is going to end up my first and LAST powder coating project, never again.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 PM

I agree with you. Powder coating is slightly stronger than paint as far as chipping and scratching, but it will, just like paint. I do like to use powder coating for some things. Unfortunately a lot of people are under the impression that powdercoat won't chip or scratch. Parts like wheels are hard to keep paint nice and from scratching and chipping anyway. I always encourage people to buy black wheels if you want black. Of course if price is the issue then go ahead and paint them.

Last edited by egroegart; 07-13-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by egroegart
I agree with you. Powder coating is slightly stronger than paint as far as chipping and scratching, but it will, just like paint. I do like to use powder coating for some things. Unfortunately a lot of people are under the impression that powdercoat won't chip or scratch. Parts like wheels are hard to keep paint nice and from scratching and chipping anyway. I always encourage people to buy black wheels if you want black. Of course if price is the issue then go ahead and paint them.
The primary reason for the project was my old wheels had been destroyed by the road salt here in Minnesota. I had the crappy chromed OEM wheels that came with the truck. Well, you should see what the salt did to that finish on the lip of the wheel. Looks like acid spilled on it. I was tired of filling tires every couple of days so I bought another set of OEM wheels from Craigslist (probably in better condition than my original wheels too) and had them powder coated black. Never had any interest in spending big $$$ on expensive wheels that some ppl like to do. I actually like the look of the OEM wheels. And I like the look of flat black as well.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 PM

I like the look of them too, and I like the black. Unfortunately the oem chrome wheels these came with were crap. We got rid of ours and just got aluminum wheels. It's been 2 years now and they still look like the day we got them. It's good you have the touch up kit, so whenever you get a chip or scratch you can just touch it up.