PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third row seating... Jump seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Default Third row seating... Jump seats?

Anyone ever do something like this? I saw a place online that will do 1 seat for like $500.. I came up with a "DIY" idea building a custom bracket running front to back with the exhisting bolts on the floor. Then I would just have to find the right size seats and mount them sideways (I've seen nice seats on ebay for like $40 each).. this way they would fold up and out of the way when I wasn't using them.. I have a large group of friends that have stayed quite close since highschool 10 years ago.. we often go camping, offroading, beach cruising, or just pile into 1 vehical to keep down on DD's whenever I'm back in town.. so 2 extra seats would be worth their weight in gold! I think I could prob do a "DIY" for around $300.. if anyone has tips, idea, or know of a company that does this please let me know...

Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Here's a tip...DON"T DO IT! By law, (and common sense), all passenger seating must be equipped with occupant restraints. As a belt restraint engineer with GM for several years, I can tell you it takes more then some mounting bolts to hold the seats and belted occupants in place. There's considerable engineering that goes into the floor pan and body structures where the seat and restraint anchors attach. On a frontal impact, improperly anchored components/occupants can become deadly projectiles.