PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Thinking of getting a new nav system

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Default Thinking of getting a new nav system

I've been to 2 places so far and both said I would need to buy an additional XM receiver in order to get XM through a new Nav unit. I would then need to change the ID over through XM from the one in my H3 now to the new unit. I'm looking at a Pioneer NAV system and from what I've seen on other posts, there was no mention of needing a different XM receiver. Can anyone shed some light on this? I thought if I tried installing it myself the hardest part once getting the harness adapter would be running the antenna line.I'm not so sure now.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Default RE: Thinking of getting a new nav system

You will need a new XM adapter with any aftermarket NAV system. The factory one will only plug into and communicate with the factory radio. You will be able to use the factory antenna and just unplug it from the factory unit and plug it into the new XM tuner you get. It is a pretty easy install. I have done a few and will be doing the NAV and XM install on mine this weekend. Also not to scare you away from Pioneer b/c it is a pretty good brand, but I have had some bad luck with them for the past several years. I quite carrying them now because their NAV systems where becoming more and more unreliable and customers where complaining about them. I have been selling a ton of the new Clarion Systems and the new Alpine Systems. Both around $1,500. I have the Clarion system and believe it is the best unit out there for NAV / IPOD / XM etc.... If you have any install questions or questions on products let me know and I will be glad to try and help.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Default RE: Thinking of getting a new nav system

Cool, thanks!