PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tailgate sub - mounted (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Default tailgate sub - mounted (pics)

Just thought I'd share a couple pics of my sub finally installed in my rear door (tailgate). Hopefully i've attached the pics correctly!
The sub is a 10" Kicker powered by a Bass Inferno Amp. Amps (four channel and sub amp) are mounted behind the panel where the factory Monsoon sub used to be.

Attached Thumbnails tailgate sub - mounted (pics)-sub_front.jpg.jpg   tailgate sub - mounted (pics)-sub_side.jpg.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Very nice job. Looks good!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 PM

wondering if you have any rattle issues?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sean815
wondering if you have any rattle issues?
I was wondering about the same thing.

Also, where'd you get your woofer enclosure? Is a custom fabrication job?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Looks good Hummphrey

Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM

wow guys im sorry for the delayed response; i didnt see that anyone posted replies.

1) No rattle. I used a fair amount of hushmat to keep things from rattling around too much inside the door itself and the box itself is mounted nice and tight. the only time i get any real rattle is if i play it while the door is open (im not exactly sure what rattles when its open but it doesnt when the door is shut).
2) It is a custom made fiberglass/ MDF wood box. it has a couple coats of a paint that gives it a similar look to the oem plastic door panel.

Last edited by Hummphrey; 02-20-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM

if youre in the PA area I can get you info to the shop that made the box. (i work there part time now and my boss made the box and helped me mount everything up) Im not tryin to sell anything for them but if anyone is interested let me know.

just a note; not every 10 inch sub can perform in a small enclosure like this box. the kicker solo classic (which is what I have) is designed to work in small boxes, that is why i used it in this application.

I will try to post some pics of the box itself and the door before the panel was reinstalled a little later today/ tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 AM

Hummphrey,

Nice work, everything looks really clean. Any idea how this would compare in sound quality to a JL stealthbox. Using the rear door and having the sub exposed rather than the side panel covering the box.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 PM

thanks for the complements. I'll pass them along to the boss man.

i honestly couldn't say how it would sound compared to the stealth box; i've never heard one (the stealthbox) in an H3 first hand. I will say that this sub is pretty loud. It's by no means going to "wake up the neighborhood" as they say, but it can get loud, stays clean at all volume levels and can really hit the notes accurately. Ive had subs that got obnoxiously loud and i'm over that now... its time for the sound quality

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Okay, so here are a couple more pics. One of the rear door without the panel and one of the subwoofer box before installed.

Attached Thumbnails tailgate sub - mounted (pics)-img_20111007_164408.jpg   tailgate sub - mounted (pics)-img_20111008_092612.jpg  

Quick Reply: tailgate sub - mounted (pics)