PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Synthetic oil verse regular oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 PM

i only use valvoline synthetic in all my stuff . over 28000.0 th on my 98 chevy 22000 on my tahoe no moter problems. I stick with what works for me

Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned
Default If,,if,,if

IF syn is a better lubricant,,then it should be used regardless of distance.
so is it better or does it just last longer?

if it lasts longer,and then is still good at 3000, then if it wears out at 5000,you are only saving 2/5 of your change money by waiting.
the difference in a $20 change vs $10 ch is 2 bucks.
regardless if that makes sense or nay,,ill change my syn at 3000 and give my h3 the best i can "waste!"

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Default Belt and suspenders

I've used syn oil religiously for my turbo engines but solely because of high temperature issues inherent in turbos. No turbo; no syn oil. Its just way too expensive and more for vanity or peace of mind than adding protection. When's the last time you saw a blue smoker or heard about a rod bearing or valve guide problem on a reasonably maintained engine? In my opinion, engine lubrication just hasn't been an issue in POVs for decades except for special concerns like turbos or very high performance or maybe if you pull a heavy trailer often. YMMV.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
IF syn is a better lubricant,,then it should be used regardless of distance.
so is it better or does it just last longer?

if it lasts longer,and then is still good at 3000, then if it wears out at 5000,you are only saving 2/5 of your change money by waiting.
the difference in a $20 change vs $10 ch is 2 bucks.
regardless if that makes sense or nay,,ill change my syn at 3000 and give my h3 the best i can "waste!"
Have you ever read your posts before you hit the submit button? Reading your posts reminds of having some word I'm trying to think of right on the tip of my tongue.

It sounds like you're trying to make a valid point, but you have to break out the secret decoder ring first. lol

Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Default Mileage on synth oil

When does everyone who run synth oil do their routine change at?

Also has anyone noticed the oil life reminder to stop working once switching to synth? I'm not sure if mine has gone out or if my oil is still good, but I am pushing 6k miles. I am going to change if it doesn't come on before 7k just for piece of mind but wondering what it can be ran to?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 PM

I use synthetic blend in my truck. I get some of the benefits of synthetic without the price tag.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 AM
Banned
Default i dint unnerstan

It sounds like you're trying to make a valid point, but you have to break out the secret decoder ring first. lol

the decoxxx rzzg iz 5 buckz

Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM

check this out, I run castrol syntec 5w-30 full synthetic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLkoRVL7BQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1hxPoMSDHQ

Old 10-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

I run whatever synthetic is on sale when I need a change. You get better mpg and you CAN measure the difference on a dyno, so it might cost pennies more, but in 7500 miles it will pay for that increase in cost in fuel efficiency improvement.

According to the official GM TSBs and manuals, you do not need to change oil until the DIC says so. I check it and don't give it a thought until the DIC kicks in.

From the 07 manual:

"When to Change Engine Oil
Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE OIL message will come on. See DIC Warnings and Messages on page 196. Change your oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset."

Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Donoo 'bout u but peanut oil works for me! :d

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil verse regular oil