PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched 12V power outlet

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Default Switched 12V power outlet

Hello,

So I am done installing Nexus 7 as head unit in my H3 (I will share my installs with you all once my this last issue is resolved). My Nexus 7 powering from power outlet.

I now realized that power outlet is always Hot (stays hot all time, even if my H3 not ON). And this will drain my battery.

I am planning to make one of my power outlet to switched (shuts off the power if my H3 is not ON) from always Hot.

I've found this link and tried to do the same thing, but it seems not working.

I've tried to hook fuse 45 to fuse 37 (LR PRK) and 49 (RR PRK), but its not working.

Can please anybody tell what I am doing wrong or what is the correct way to do it?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:27 AM

I took my 07 H3 in to have a remote start put in. I asked the installer if it was possible to put the power outlets on the ignition switch. He did the rear cargo outlet and one of the front outlets for an extra $20. They work perfect.(I could have had all 3 done, but I wanted to keep one on full time)

Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Christopher Couell
I took my 07 H3 in to have a remote start put in. I asked the installer if it was possible to put the power outlets on the ignition switch. He did the rear cargo outlet and one of the front outlets for an extra $20. They work perfect.(I could have had all 3 done, but I wanted to keep one on full time)
Hey Christopher, so do know how they hooked it up...

Old 06-11-2015, 11:57 PM

I don't know exactly, except I know he put an inline fuse on both and re-directed the power from the ignition source.
My point was more that it was only $20 to have a professional do this.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:13 PM

There are several ways of doing this. It all boils down to how much you want to spend and how elaborate you want to get.

One choice is to simply route an ignition power source (such as Fuse #33) to your N7. Add an appropriate fuse size (perhaps a 3-amp would suffice) and you're done. Check out my post https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-hummer-34403/

Another is to add a relay between your constant 12V and your power outlet to act as an on/off switch. This method STILL requires and ignition power source to activate the relay.

An even fancier option would be the use of an 'off delay relay' where power is enabled for an x-amount of time. This way you can charge it for whatever amount of time you choose after shutting off your vehicle.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Christopher Couell
I don't know exactly, except I know he put an inline fuse on both and re-directed the power from the ignition source.
My point was more that it was only $20 to have a professional do this.
That's what my plan B is
Before that I thought of checking here to see if someone knows how to do it...
Thank you...

Old 06-16-2015, 04:29 AM

The quickest and easiest way would be to take the face off of your console and get to the back of your Accessory Plugs. Cut the orange wire about two inches out from the plug that goes to the center post of the Accessory plug. This is the B+ wire. Tape up the orange wire going to the harness. Take a #16 or #14 wire and attaché to the two inch orange wire from the socket. Route through the fire wall and go to the main fuse box under the hood. Locate fuse #10. In most cases it will be unused. Put in an Add-A-Fuse and attach the wire you just ran to the fuse box to the "usually" red pig tale wire from the Add-A-Fuse. Place a 10 amp fuse in the Add-A-Fuse holder that is parallel to where the red wire enters the adapter. Don't put a fuse in the other side of the adapter. Install the Add-A-Fuse in the #10 fuse slot so that the wire is exiting towards the drivers side fender. Now, turn the ignition on and you should have power. This is a delayed B+, so the power will stay on for 5 minuets after switched off or the door opened.