PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Default sway bars

hey guys, got a hummer happening event in a few days and i think i am gonna take my sway bars off (just for the event). i did quite a bit of searching and didnt really find anyone else who has taken theres off. i did find a post or two about using some jeep sway bar disconnects in the rear with a shackle flip, but thats not what im looking for. i just wanted to take them off for the ride on saturday and they will go back on as soon as i get my truck clean.

you think i will have any problems?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Default RE: sway bars

well i've been outside working on getting them off for about 30mins and they will just not come.....maybe an air wrench will help, most likely

Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: spaustin889

well i've been outside working on getting them off for about 30mins and they will just not come.....maybe an air wrench will help, most likely
They use ball joints so you need to secure the bolt, otherwise the joint will just spin. Use an allen wrench in the end of the bolt and an open end wrench on the nut.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM

As to your original question...

I don't think you'll gain much in the front since its IFS. You'll get more droop of course, but you won't get the forced down pressure like you do with a SFA. Also, you may run into issues with extreme CV angles.

I've got the discos in the rear, and honestly, I've only taken them off once. There's actually quite a bit of flex in the rear, especially with the longer shackles. And you usually need the flex more in the front anyways.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:08 PM

Have fun at the happening and take pics!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 PM

I would try using the disconnects and have the ability to reconnect in the field if you do run into problems or don't like how it feels. I understand that does cost money though, but maybe less than some unforseen repairs.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 PM

not trying to spend money on this H3 seeing as the lease is up in less than 2 months

anyways, i got them off, took 2 people and we broke a pair of channel lock pliers (glad to have the lifetime warranty)

yeah, the problem is, the nut on the back of the ball joint isnt really a nut, its perfectly circular and therefore, you cant get a grip on it

***on the way home tonight i threw a code "stability system failure: service stability system" i was going straight and it was right when i got up around 50mph. i pulled over to the side, turned the car off/on and it went away, i drove over 50 on the way home and nothing happened? is this from taking the sway bar off today?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:46 AM

ORIGINAL: spaustin889

anyways, i got them off, took 2 people and we broke a pair of channel lock pliers (glad to have the lifetime warranty)
Channel locks? [sm=smiley21.gif] Try using the correct tools next time.

yeah, the problem is, the nut on the back of the ball joint isnt really a nut, its perfectly circular and therefore, you cant get a grip on it
See my post above. Use the right tools and its not that difficult.

***on the way home tonight i threw a code "stability system failure: service stability system" i was going straight and it was right when i got up around 50mph. i pulled over to the side, turned the car off/on and it went away, i drove over 50 on the way home and nothing happened? is this from taking the sway bar off today?
Doubt it. Unless you did something to the sensor wire when you were mucking around. It runs from the hub (just behind the rotor) up into the wheel well.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 AM

Geeze Sewie... I'm not trying to be critical but DANG! Removing parts from a lease vehicle? Driving on the highway without the swaybar connected? (which probably freaked out the Stab Sys) Thinking you'll get Jeep flex from an IFS front end? I'd say you wasted your breath on that kid.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

I'd say you wasted your breath on that kid.
Happens alot. But maybe someone else will find the info useful.

BTW, I know several people that mod and wheel the **** out of their leased vehicles. And while disconnecting the front swaybar will make for an interesting drive, unless tires are losing traction, Stabilitrak shouldn't care. It monitors wheel speed, not body sway.

Quick Reply: sway bars