PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sunroof, headliner and interior part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 PM
Default Sunroof, headliner and interior part II

I wanted to continue with the repairs and fill in the story just in case someone else runs into this issue.

Here is part I.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...of-woes-39672/

Fact of the matter is this has literally taken vast amounts of time and energy, not to mention patients. The first thing that had to be done was to painstakingly remove and label each interior piece and remove the door seals as we'll as a **** load of snaps, covers and screws.
Having a good magnetic set of screwdrivers and interior plastic tools is essential.

After pulling out all of the mouldings next comes the headliner. This is the part that gets goofy. Remove the screws, visor clips retainers and visors. Then unclip the retainers that hold the sunroof surround and unbolt the OH **** handle covers and handles. Then the entire headliner slides clumsily out the rear tailgate. Be very careful when removing the light covers on the ceiling as they are delicate.
Now that all this cr@p is out of the way now we come to the problem. The seams where the rivets hold the drain fittings together leak because as best as I can figure the butyl seaming goop dries and breaks down with age. After a bunch of searching via Google I found this to be the case with other GM sunroofs.

It was necessary to apply bathroom, basement grade 100 % silicone over all the rivet heads and the seams. It takes two applications and a night of dry time. Now get prepared to spend a bunch of time to put it all back together.
In my case I needed to do some extra steps. I had to make two shelf like items with 1\4" hardboard and #10 3\4" self tap sheet screws and washers.
My sunroof has a rear motor assembly so the gizmos have to be protected and the headliner has to have a shelf also to keep it up. All in all about 13-15 hours this leg of the repairs.

Getting the headliner back in alignment and all the fittings in place was really slow. I figured while I was at it I might as well do a full detailing of the inside.

Tested for seal worthy ness with a bit of water and it seems to hold.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 AM

Can't really blame GM for an aftermarket sunroof issue.