PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuesday sucked big time... Retractable sunroof woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Default Tuesday sucked big time... Retractable sunroof woes

I spent about 12 hrs. working all day and into the wee hours on this problem.

1st this is my 07 H3 basic that I thought came from factory with sun roof installed. Not!
I'd already worked on the 06 H3 for the Miss' so I'm pretty well versed on the drain tubes and such. That is not the problem with my H3.

I went out Tuesday to find water running down the pillars nearest where your shoulders
would be. I quick referenced the Hummer H3 forum for a refresher course on drain hoses and out I went to the driveway.
It didn't take long to realize that the sunroof didn't follow oem standards as the tubes in front were clear acrylic about 5/8" in size. They do not drain through the firewall but in the side kick panels. Weird!
I tore out all the back plastic trim and found once again they have large hoses and they drain into the pocket nearest the rear door. Weird!
I was now forced to take out all the trim and drop most of the rear and middle headliner structure. This is where the situation got just cr@ppy , exhausting... The sunroof track is not leaking as a result of clogged hoses but because the seal, glue, goober they fuse the track trough ends on with is allowing water to leak through at all the seams. It is like all the joints just began to fail.

I was forced to clean up everything best as possible and put it back together because I'm uncertain how to repair this problem.
Just caulking everything is not going to work. I'd have to remove the entire headliner ( how do you remove the last few hidden fasteners or screws under the fabric nearest windshield?) and then drill out the rivets that hold the track together so as to put in all new sealant to stop the leaking.
Right now the H3 is parked under a shelter to keep rain, snow from doing more damage.

Problem is I'm not well versed enough in headliner repair or removal, installation of sunroofs. Ugh!

What to do????
Replace the entire system?
Take it to a shop that specializes in this stuff?

I just don't know...

Sorry for long post... Just sucks. This has just come out of no where this week.
I'm wondering if it can even be repaired economically....

Old 04-18-2018, 04:05 PM

By the way anyone know the name, part # for the small plastic rivet like clips that hold the dash board end cap bezel covers on. The ones that push into the two holes in the glove box to retain the end covers for the passenger side???

Old 04-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Take the sun roof out and have a body shop patch the hole
then put an H3 decal in the headliner hole lol

Old 04-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Here is a video of a similar situation with another gm SUV. The vehicle is different but the sunroof leak is very similar.

It leaks at front and back.