PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sucking sound with a big popping sound at shut down

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sucking sound with a big popping sound at shut down

I am 100% with ya on that one, I am not a fan of that up in the corner heat sheild thing, and water/muck is another reason.

Now I understand better, yes they are pre-oiled.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks again guys, I got alot of things to think about. I have had the factory box back on all day and drove all over sacramento this morning and no CEL. So it was the new intake. I guess if someone on here needs one. I have one for sale. LOL seriously. I take paypal too.
One good thing, I got me a new sound sytem installed on my H3 and boy it is sweet. The H3 is perfect for updating the speakers cause it seals up tighter than a frogs ***. Meaning any improvement in the speakers and a good subwoofer improves the sound. Matter of fact it is better than any movie theater I've been too. I got the new Pioneer AVIC-Z2 and Boston Acustics Speakers all around. And two Rockford Fosgate Amps pushing one 10 Kenwood carbon fiber sub built into the back door. Replacing the panel and jack and tools. I love the way it looks. Plus a free 12 inch sub in a box. That is removable if I need to haul crap.
This makes the slow drive alittle easier to handle.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM

So what about the popping noise, is it still there? I have the exact problem with my 06 H3

Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

dmac:

Go back a page and read my post. It is normal, all the 3s do it, you just usually hear a soft click with a closed intakesysytem.
The K&N is an open system, so it makes a racket, and you hear a pop when the diaphram lets go after the engine vacume dies when you shut down.
Them plastic pipes do not shield sound well. [&o]

Do the rotate the filter thing 180 degrees I mentioned. That can help sometimes.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks man! Now I dont have to worry so much!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

sucking sound with a big pop at the end, hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm......... I found the best way to make that go away is get married.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 AM

That popping sound is from the exhaust. There is a small one way gate near the pre-cat that opens when the engine is running and closes when the engine is shut off. It prevents cold air from rushing back in against the exhaust valves.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM

I have the same K&N intake kit on my 2006 Hummer H3 too. My truck makes the same popping noise when I shut it off. No CEL though. and runs like a champ!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

instead of starting a new thread I thought I would revive this one. About 2 weeks ago I installed my K&N CAI, today check engine light came on... dealers computer says its was running too lean. They said its not anymore, they cleared the code and sent me on my way. My question is, should I disconnect the battery to reset my computer to reset the short and long term fuel trims back to zero or just let it be?