PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongly Considering 2009 H2

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:07 PM

So sad.

We drove the H2 we wanted to buy. It's 1 owner, it looks new, the owner is great, did and said all the right things. T

hen they sent me the service records.

Within 600 miles complete engine wire harness replaced. 13k, 12V Acc power Receptacle replacement, 19k right side mirror motor replaced, 22k windshield washer heater asm. removed, 27k, Seat System Wiring replacement, 31k, lefts side mirror replacement, owner complained about battery being drained while parked over night. So the dealer replaced battery and starter.

These are just the cliff's notes, I didn't feel like typing it all in. Our year Excursion has a reputation of 'electrical issues'. What that means is that sometimes the rear tail gate lock stops working with the remote.

I can't tell you how disappointed we are. We really like the H2 and want to own one.

But I just can't entrust a vehicle w/ this history to transporting my family through the desert to remote places.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mulepic
So sad.

We drove the H2 we wanted to buy. It's 1 owner, it looks new, the owner is great, did and said all the right things. T

hen they sent me the service records.

Within 600 miles complete engine wire harness replaced. 13k, 12V Acc power Receptacle replacement, 19k right side mirror motor replaced, 22k windshield washer heater asm. removed, 27k, Seat System Wiring replacement, 31k, lefts side mirror replacement, owner complained about battery being drained while parked over night. So the dealer replaced battery and starter.

These are just the cliff's notes, I didn't feel like typing it all in. Our year Excursion has a reputation of 'electrical issues'. What that means is that sometimes the rear tail gate lock stops working with the remote.

I can't tell you how disappointed we are. We really like the H2 and want to own one.

But I just can't entrust a vehicle w/ this history to transporting my family through the desert to remote places.
Keep Looking, you can't just go by what One H2's issues are/were. Most of the ones you mentioned were minor issues to begin with. Seems like the mirror issues though were one of the Problems with the Newer H2's if i'm not mistaken (my passenger one closes a lil' further in than it should) but i also think they sent out a memo you could take them to your local dealership or mechanic & they would be covered. Other than that, i haven't had ONE of those other issues you mentioned on my H2. ONE Bad apple doesn't Ruin the Whole Batch! GL! You can find a Great Deal, you just have to be Patient & Do your Homework!

Old 09-07-2015, 03:29 PM

We'll keep looking but I didn't think 'complete engine wire harness replaced. 13k, 12V Acc power Receptacle replacement, or the in-explainable overnight dead battery' as minor. I have a neighbor that had a tahoe that had similar issues. We take our truck to very remote places and having a random electrical issue strand my family would be rough.

We'll keep looking and we're hopeful we'll find the one w/o these issues.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 PM

I spent a couple months looking at H2s. It takes time.
I believe I missed 3 or 4 solid H2s that were sold before I could effectively talk to the dealership. In the long run, it worked out for me. I feel lucky.

One thing, don't bother worrying about color. I'd rather have a yellow or red reliable vehicle over the white one that isn't. You can always do a wrap in the future for less than $2k

Just keep looking!

Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to figure out if the electrical issues w/ these vehicles (tahoes, escalades, silverados) is the exception or the norm.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 PM

Some do, some don't.
My 2003 was fine. No electrical problems period.
My 2009, again, zero electrical problems. The carfax didn't mention any & I have yet to experience them.
Most of the vehicles I turned down where visibly worn. The leather had a lot of use. The front vents were broken (how the hell does this happen?). Damage to the cigarette lighters, etc. I'm weary of any vehicle where the previous owner trashed it that much.

Between seeing electrical issues, lack of care or price, I ended up eliminated all but probably 5% of the H2s on the market.

If you want specific numbers, you can go around & see how many issues people have had on forums. I'd only look at 08/09 models. Take into account tat you won't be seeing people posting threads about, "my vehicle is problem free," unfortunately.

To my knowledge, the H2 isn't a very problematic vehicle.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 AM

I found this site: Hummer H2 Problems | CarComplaints.com

I noticed the 2009's had about half as many TSB's than 2008's. 2004 didn't look like a good year.

So would you hold out for 2009 even if you felt good about a 2008?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I would buy the first one I saw that I liked and could make the deal I wanted on. The issues on the truck noted above were all minor. That would not have eliminated that truck for me. As these trucks get older and with higher mileage finding one without some " history " is going to be very difficult. Remember, you are buying a 5-7 year old used vehicle. It isn't going to be perfect.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:52 PM

^x2. I wouldnt be so worried with those issues either. If you look at the mileage it was all at the beginning of the trucks life. You dont see those issues carrying on in the later reports.

I also dont think there will be as many issues reported with the 09's. Simply because there wasnt nearly as many produced as 08. When i was looking. I found production numbers on wikipedia and it stated if memory serves me correctly that only 900 h2's were produced in 09.
* i checked this after i posted and it was US sales for 09 - were 600, compared to 6095 in 08.

That right there would make my decision between an 08 and 09. If i could afford either. I would search out a low mileage, prestine duece that was someones pride and joy and buy that one. The 09's are the ones the collectors will be after one day. It maybtake sometime to find it but you'll know when you do.

Keep searching. Good luck

Last edited by madmayo; 09-11-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Reviewed my wiki statement- corrected
Old 09-11-2015, 10:27 PM

Here is the chart for US sales

Attached Thumbnails Strongly Considering 2009 H2-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Strongly Considering 2009 H2