PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Default Strange Starting Issue

I have a 97 Wagon. Twice now I've tried to start my truck and it won't even turn over. Wait light will turn off, I turn the key and nothing happens. Its as if it was still in gear. The first time was at the gas station. I took it out of park and into neutral then it started fine. Second time the same trick didn't work but after messing with it for awhile and turning the wheel to make sure it wasn't still locked it started. Anyone else have this problem or know why its happening? I know its not the battery because lights and radio work fine.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Does it happen after the truck has warmed up? If so might be the start of a PMD going bad.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 PM

If it cranked in neutral but not park it is likely a bad neutral safety switch. Try bypassing it to see if it cranks. This is a post from another hummer forum

" My '98 won't start in park but 80% of the time will start in "N" 20% of the time it just clicks. Makes me think it is neutral safety switch is bad. Can be bypassed easily. How do i bypass it?

At the shifter (under the truck) are five wires:

Purple - lights (female pin on shifter end)
Brown - Backup lights (female pin on shifter end)
Orange - Backup lights (female pin on shifter end)
White - Neutral Safety Switch (male pin on shifter end)
Light Blue - Neutral Safety Swtich. (male pin on shifter end)
Were you to connect the White wire to the Light Blue wire, you would have effectively bypassed the neutral safety switch.

Note that the backup lights, and the shifter illumination lights have a female connector on the shifter end (gender of connector is based on the pins, not the shell!). The neutral safety switch has male ends. This may help you isolate the wires."

Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 AM

It does sound like the Neutral Safety switch. You could try to rebuild it (take it apart and inspect/clean all internal connections), or just replace it.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 PM

Def the neutral safety switch. I just had to replace mine. You can buy a new one on eBay cheap. Easy fix too.