PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Strange Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Default Strange Leak

Found a leak today. Most likely from snow sitting on my roof. Found the leak from the handle on the passengers side A post. Any ideas where this could be from?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2017, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2005H2
Found a leak today. Most likely from snow sitting on my roof. Found the leak from the handle on the passengers side A post. Any ideas where this could be from?

Thanks
Most possible the corner light .. once the water channel is blocked ( channel.runs under the black plastic handle on the roof, next to the light) the the water level rinse and find the way thru the light plug . Which has a grommet but isn't fully sealed.
I fixed mine with silicone on the plug grommets and keeping the water channel clean of debris.. snow in your case
Good luck. Those leaks can keep you entertained for a while

Old 02-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 PM

I have the same issue but on the driver side, where exactly do you put the silicone?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dcsport1
I have the same issue but on the driver side, where exactly do you put the silicone?

First contact your local dealer . They can get you the oem seals but removing the lamps and a silicone will do the work
Also when you remove the lamp cover you'll see a plug with a rubber grommet I covered the grommet inside with the silicone

Check the pics . That was before the silicone

Strange Leak-20160926_181710.jpg

Strange Leak-20160926_181749.jpg

Old 02-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
First contact your local dealer . They can get you the oem seals but removing the lamps and a silicone will do the work
Also when you remove the lamp cover you'll see a plug with a rubber grommet I covered the grommet inside with the silicone

Check the pics . That was before the silicone

Attachment 10072

Attachment 10073
That's great! Pics really help too. It was such a strange leak, glad for the easy fix.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2005H2
That's great! Pics really help too. It was such a strange leak, glad for the easy fix.
Let me know if worked... sometime may be the sunroof drain

Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 AM

Also quite possible that its the 3 front middle marker lights. Those gaskets are very well known to leak too.

I just got my H2 a few weeks back and after much reading both before and after buying it what I assumed would be strange would to not have some leak somewhere. The one I got was leaking. Drivers floor wet, rear passenger floor wet.... I spent an entire full day just after I got it pulling the entire roof rack system and all lights off the roof, cleaning everything up, and resealing everything.

One thing I'd recommend would be some body seam sealer instead of silicone. The problem with silicone is nothing sticks well to cured silicone, not even new silicone. So if your middle lights ever need the bulb changed now you are faced with near impossible to fully remove silicone that you will fight to reseal. I used 3M body seam sealer. Its what the auto factories use to seal body seams in places and remains slightly flexible but its also more of an adhesive than a silicone based sealant. Expensive though - 1 caulking tube of it cost me $25 at a local auto paint supply place.

On mine - on the top corner marker lights. Those rubber plugs were so shrunk that they were just loose in the hole. No real grip or seal at all. I also discovered one was leaking in the middle - the upper side where the wires go through the rubber plug has a bit of a cavity. The bottom of that cavity had a tiny hole in one. After cleaning the rubber plugs really well (not easy to clean that cavity in the top of them well since they have wires going through them and not much slack wire) with iso alcohol I filled the cavity in the top of them with
Amazon Amazon
This stuff is thin and starts to cure very quick. When you first get a tube knead the tube a little to help make sure its mixed up. Open it over a trash can and make sure its coming out black - you might get a bit of clear to start. Then fill the small cavity in the plug about half way. Wait a hour or two then fill it the rest of the way up. Thats what I did anyways.... then made sure the hole in the roof for the plug was very clean and used the body seam sealant around the hole and put the plugs in then added some more to make sure it was very well sealed - then put a strip of masking tape to hold it firmly in place for several hours to make sure it stays down perfect. On the 4 corner lights the foam gaskets under the lenses really are not critically important - those really just keep dust and dirt out of the inside of the lens but do nothing to prevent water intrusion into the vehicle itself.

On the three middle lights (also the rear three are the same) I made new custom gaskets that are excellent but most are not going to have the things I used to do that. Most just put gobs of silicone under them. Mine had massive amounts of silicone under them and they were still leaking. Took me nearly an hour per light just to get all the silicone off the roof from around the holes. With the new gaskets I made mine no longer need any silicone. I know a couple of places on eBay sell sets of gaskets for them but they are expensive. If you are replacing the gaskets on these you need to completely remove the old smushed dried out useless gasket that is on them. I used 1/4" thick neoprene sheet plus 3M VHB foam tape to make the replacement ones for mine. They seal tight as can be.

Also one of my front sunroof drains was indeed clogged. I snaked it with some weedeater line then flushed it. The front ones come out under the cowling under the front wipers. The rear ones come out through the floor in the pillar behind the rear doors. None are easy to got to.

I've learned some important lessons though. One is if the middle marker lights gaskets are perished. They need to be replaced. Simply gobbing a ton of residential silicone around them is a temporary bandaid. The sunroof drains should be checked and made sure they are draining annually.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 PM

I just bought a 2003 H2 last December and to my horror water was pouring down both front pillars due to a warm spell melting all the snow on top of the thing.

It got warm in Wisconsin past December up in the 40s and I pulled the corner marker lights and that soft gasket plug with the wire running down to the inside roof was jammed up with crap and water.

I cleaned the crap out and pulled that soft plug up, dried it all real nice, then squeezed silicon gasket material in a ring around the hole in the roof for that soft plug. It made a real nice suction noise as I dropped the soft plug back in and I sealed it even more with a ring of more silicone gasket material.

This silicone gasket should stay pliable and sealed for awhile. This material shouldn't harden and become a problem removing when time comes to do it again.

It rained and snowed and melted again. No leaks.