PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Steering wheel is crooked...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned
Default the plot thickens!!

i thought i was alone,, now all this!

my confession: i bought my h3 on a sat and sun evening, a dark parking lot,a short post, and my newness to the h3, AND the big blind spot pillar i was not used to,,, and i banged the post as i turned hard left. the tire absorbed the HARD hit and we stopped totally instantly.

a little yellow post paint cleaned off the fender and miraculasly there was no damage,,, but the steering wheel was off like 40-60 degrees AND the left tire was toed out about an inch! something had to bend in the a frame,,suspension etc and a little play was in the tie rod but they said it was not caused by the hit but by wear.

it was aligned straight again but i could see that a lot of thread was used up on the tie rods to get it straight meaning the bent stuff is still there. cant be seen by eye but i believe something bends or "stretches" when hit, or maybe it actually displaces the mounting hardware

but since the toe out occured because of the hit something had to bend or stretch. i checked ir by setting the right tire straight and could easily see the toe out by sighting along the fender on both sides.

normally toe out would occur onle when replacing parts and not having them threaded in properly.
i have replaced tie rod ends CAREFULLY and didnt require alignment so i know A LITTLE BIT about it !!

the h3 tracks perfect so i consider im lucky to be back to "normal" and i REALLY watch that blind spot as im turning.

you can still see the tire mark on the post,,,my signature!!

ok,,,nuff said

tom