PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stabilitrak, T/C? It's as clear as mud!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Default Stabilitrak, T/C? It's as clear as mud!

OK, here we go again...

As many of you long timers know, the names Stabilitrak and Traction Control have sometimes been confused with each other and used interchangeably. Since I'm not a writer or an engineer I'll try to explain this the best I can with the knowledge I've gained over the years. It may not be 100% correct but this is a forum, feel free to correct any errors.
[ol][*]
Electronic Stability Control compares the driver's intended direction (by measuring steering angle) to the vehicle's actual direction (by measuring lateral acceleration, vehicle rotation (yaw) and individual wheel speeds). If the vehicle is not going where the driver is steering, ESC then brakes individual front or rear wheels and/or reduces excess engine power as needed to help correct understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing).
ESC incorporates yaw rate control into anti-lock brakes. Yaw is rotation around the vertical axis; i.e. spinning left or right. Anti-lock brakes enable ESC to brake individual wheels. ESC may also incorporate traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels and/or reduces excess engine power until control is regained.
ESC cannot override a car's physical limits or increase traction. If a driver pushes the vehicle's traction beyond its limits, ESC cannot prevent a crash. It is a tool to help the driver maintain control using available traction. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Stability_Control[/ol]
[ul][*]Here you can see ESC(aka Stabilitrak) and Traction Control are two different animals with two different jobs. ESC watches how you're driving and will correct your steering if needed. TC applies the required brake to aid traction.[/ul]
2. In off road vehicles: Traction control is used instead or in addition to the mechanical limited slip or locking differential. It is often implemented with anelectronic limited slip differential, as well as other computerized controls of the engine and transmission. The spinning wheel is slowed down with short applications of brakes, diverting more torque to the non-spinning wheel.

Now here's the rub as I understand it. Owners of pre 2007 H3's have an incorrectly labeled message on the DIC when Stabilitrak is switched off. On my 2007 when I'm in 4 low or I mash the button on the dash for 6 secondsI get this message; "StabSys Off". Pr

Old 05-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Default RE: Stabilitrak, T/C? It's as clear as mud!

thanks RealJeep. I am going to find that information that told me other wise and figure out why I was confused.To add another twist to your explanation, putting the H3 in 4 Lock changes the anti lock braking too.