PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stabilitrak on or off

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Default stabilitrak on or off

new 2007 H3. owners manual and dealer say the stabilitrak system should be turned off in certain conditions. My question is what type of conditions would have to exist to turn this system off.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Default RE: stabilitrak on or off

I've got a question...when I go wheelin especially when its wet, I still hear the system activating even though it says its turned off. Is stabilitrak and traction control two different things?

Old 12-31-2006, 03:36 PM

stabilitrac and traction control are two different things. Manual transmissions do not have stabilitrac. Only auto's have both.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:39 PM

when holding down the button on the dash, that will shut off the stabilitrac system...traction control will remain on. only way to shut off the traction control is to use BTM to keep the wheels from spinning. There is no button to shut off traction control. Going into 4-low will also shut off the stabilitrac.

traction control system. If it senses one wheel of an axle is spinning, it will hit the brakes on that wheel which, sends the power to the other wheel on that axle. Its not quite as effective as a true locker, but is much better than an open differential or a limited slip, which will send all power to the wheel that has the least resistance if the other wheel on that axle is stuck.

Stabilitrac:
A system which stabilizes the traction of the vehicle. It was designed to help prevent rollovers and driver error in emergency manuvers

Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 PM

The question still remains when or when not should one turn off the stabilitrac system off. I understand the difference between stabilitrac and traction control

Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 AM

I turn it off whenver I am going to be going over any off camber obstacles. Anywhere where the vehicle could sence a rollover and transfer traction where I don't want it.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Turn it off in the snow too

Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Stabilitrak is a safety system. It's purpose is to sense a slide or skid (at road speeds) and automatically apply brakes and throttle to correct it, so you should turn it off only in truly slick conditions like deep or hard-packed snow, ice, or deep mud where it will have false alarms. Its probably most valuable in wet or light snow conditions where you tend to drive pretty normally.If you turn it offthen, you'll loose its protection just when you need it. A rule of thumb might be that if you're able todrive at routine roadspeeds, it should be left on. If your creeping along on a trail or an icy street, its not going to be of any use, and false alarms may conflict with the Traction Control, so it should be off.

Traction Control is part of 4WD/AWDcontrol and its purpose ispurely getting power to the ground. I would turn it off (if I could) in conditions where there's likelihood for wheel spin on both axles similtaneously; e.g., ice, slick packed snow, ormud, but you'll get different opinions depending on experiences.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

when holding down the button on the dash, that will shut off the stabilitrac system...traction control will remain on. only way to shut off the traction control is to use BTM to keep the wheels from spinning. There is no button to shut off traction control. Going into 4-low will also shut off the stabilitrac.

traction control system. If it senses one wheel of an axle is spinning, it will hit the brakes on that wheel which, sends the power to the other wheel on that axle. Its not quite as effective as a true locker, but is much better than an open differential or a limited slip, which will send all power to the wheel that has the least resistance if the other wheel on that axle is stuck.

Stabilitrac:
A system which stabilizes the traction of the vehicle. It was designed to help prevent rollovers and driver error in emergency manuvers

Sorry for all the Noob questionsI have a 2007 H3 Lux, auto. I press the Stabiltrac lighted switch, but there is no change. It stays lite with no changes on the DICWhat does this mean?

Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 AM

Turn the Stabilitrak off when U want to skid or slide the Vehicle.

Otherwise you will be unable to do the above.

99% of the time it stays on.

Ian

Quick Reply: stabilitrak on or off